iPod Touch hack job

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Gashog, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Gashog macrumors newbie

Since there is no "intros" forum, I'll kill two birds here.
    Hi! I'm Ted :)

My wife bought a new Touch for my older daughter yesterday.
    So the 2G gets passed down to my younger daughter and the busted 2G gets passed down to me.
    The story with the broken one is my wife bought it off eBay with the WiFi not working. The guy had supposedly jailbroken it and broke the wifi. When I looked at it, I could see that it had been pried apart. I'm thinking maybe the screen was replaced either at home or by some electronics hack shop.
    The power button was fussy and didn't work very well. It's stopped working all together now. I installed "Activator" to deal with that.

I had jailbroken it and was using Cyder and iFunBox to install free games for my youngest daughter. I didn't really mind the no WiFi with her. The iPod, with some games and a few songs, shut her up and got her off big sisters back and I didn't have to worry about what she was doing online. She's old enough now that she can be semi trusted with a working iPod so she has big sisters old 2G.

I'd like to fix "my new" iPod since it's pretty much useless the way it is. I could give it to my wife so she shuts up about my Droid X.

My eyes are bugging out from searching and reading old threads where people just insult each other. Has anyone here had any experience with this type of situation? I'm dyslexic so use small words :) ...... And links! :D

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

So you bought a broken device and have no idea what to do with it?

3. Gashog thread starter macrumors newbie

Pretty much. What would you suggest?

Edit: Actually, my little diatribe was unclear. My wife bought a brand new 4G for my older daughter. My older daughter gave her 2G to her little sister. I got the broken one that was my youngest daughters.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Apple Store might repair it at a price, or give you a discount on a new device.

Or you can try to repair it yourself.

5. Gashog thread starter macrumors newbie

That's where I'm at.
    My kid got two years out of this device so I don't feel a lot of anxiety about dissecting it. I think the WiFi and power button issues are due to a sloppy repair. I'd like to try to correct it.

I've seen the heat gun re flow video on YouTube. Any other suggestions on what I might look at?