iPod touch Hacking Status?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Arisian, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

Just a quick request for info.

I have been searching for sites that contain info on hacking the iPod touch and have come across a few that seem somewhat lame. aka, they are just waiting for someone to hack it and then they will d load them and provide them to us, which is fine and needed of course. However, I am looking for a site where a real team of hackers might be posting about this stuff, thought I know its not in their nature. I also realize that this might be a dumb question, but have you guys run across anything interesting that is along these lines.

If so please post it here. I'm sure more people other than myself are looking forward to this kinda stuff.

Thanks!
    Arisian

2. caMi macrumors regular

3. Arisian thread starter macrumors 68000

Arisian

obviously a joke :)

4. molestdbygenius macrumors newbie

Wtf - no the itouch hasn't had jailbreak succesfully run on it, so it's not hacked yet. just stay on digg and youll know when its hacked.

5. thirdeyeopen666 macrumors 6502

thirdeyeopen666

People are working on it as we speak. There's progress, but not a ton. There's a page where you can make a donation and hopefully hasten the hacking... as well as an IRC channel discussion. I feel a bit weird posting the channel details for fear of it getting overloaded causing them to lose progress. If you look around on hackthepodtouch.com or ipodtouchhacks.com I'm sure you'll find the info I'm omitting.

6. colto macrumors regular

7. Arisian thread starter macrumors 68000

Arisian

thanks

Thanks guys. And yes I know it hasn't been jb'd yet. Thanks

Arisian

8. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

No it hasn't.

They don't have the brain trust dedicated to the iPod touch that the iPhone had/has. Also, Apple has changed things up that are making it much more difficult. There is concern as well that Apple will utilize the new encryption process on the iPhone when they come with one of the big updates.

9. robPOD macrumors 6502

Maybe Hang out on some IRC's and see whats happening

10. wizzracer macrumors 6502

wizzracer

Since apple hired the iPhone hacker, maybe they learned something from him.

11. colto macrumors regular

They did? That sucks!

12. colto macrumors regular

13. SirCrumpet macrumors regular

SirCrumpet

14. wizzracer macrumors 6502

wizzracer

15. colto macrumors regular

16. colto macrumors regular

Do you have a link to the info?

17. SirCrumpet macrumors regular

SirCrumpet

:eek: Sorry, i completely missed your post - must of accidentally scrolled past it :eek:

18. GavinTing macrumors 6502

GavinTing

I too would like to know the source of that....

19. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Hopefully by the time I get my touch in a week or so there will be some new apps :D

20. Arisian thread starter macrumors 68000

Arisian

arg

If it's not hackable/maintainable (ie. every new update from Apple doesn't have to b rehacked) I'm going to be a little disappointed... at apple. Since the iPhone has come out I've been happy to see that Apple was doing nothing to block the cracking of the thing. Infact, I kinda felt like they wanted it, and maybe they did for good press...etc. However, now it seems like they have changed their attitude and want to be in control of everything on your ipod. I really wish they had just put the apps on the iPod to begin with. Why cripple the thing? I realize its good business, but come on Stevo, put yourself in our shoes!

Thanks,
    Arisian

21. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

Unfortunately for the overly optimistic, the iPod touch will have the features & functionality that Apple envisioned for a good while to come.

22. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

It will be.. it's just a matter of how long. Pretty much every device has been hacked to some degree, and I can't see a small device like the itouch having that much protection in it compared to real toughies like games consoles.

If someone manages to jtag the thing they'll have its secrets within a day or so. Don't think the ones working on it at the moment have access to that kind of hardware.

Seems a shame to run OSX then have it run about 3 apps...

23. Arisian thread starter macrumors 68000

Arisian

And this, folks, is the understatement of the year!
    Haha, I agree with that completely. However, there are some neat workarounds I found, ie, the txt viewer that someone posted about earlier. Infact, I used that for a good while last night. It wasnt great, as in a real hack, but it got what I needed done

thanks,
    Arisian

24. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

It will get hacked, but if Apple want to stop that it will be a "game of cat and mouse" as Steve Jobs put it, just like the PSP really. The hackers always win in the end though, nothing is completely secure.