Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
My 2G iPod Touch doesn't really play music all that well anymore. The speakers themselves work normally, though it seems the headphone jack sucks.

At first, about a week ago when I had headphones connected, sound would only come out of the right earphone, but not the left. Then within this past week no sound comes out at all.............unless I purposefully hold the headphones and press them into the jack at an awkward angle.

I'm wondering if there are any tricks or tips in resolving this............or if a simply restore will do the trick?

ghostlyorb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
Virginia, USA
Have you tried OTHER head phones? I know someone that had this similar problem.. and turns out the headphones had a cut in them. Go figure. haha. But maybe you wore it out?

Hayduke60

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2009
Maybe a good cleaning of the offending port. A search for headphone jack problems/cleaning will turn up some good ideas. A cotton swab with the cotton pulled off the end, dipped in alcohol of some kind, dabbed into the jack seems to be the top choice..

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Maybe a good cleaning of the offending port. A search for headphone jack problems/cleaning will turn up some good ideas. A cotton swab with the cotton pulled off the end, dipped in alcohol of some kind, dabbed into the jack seems to be the top choice..

I was on Mroogle and YouTube which turned up the same results. Currently i'm in China and though Q-Tips are easy to find, rubbing alcohol or Windex may be a bit of a stretch in the city i'm currently at. Nevertheless I need to try something considering I can't live without my music as I walk the streets of China.

China. :D

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I just used q tips to clean the inside of the ipod but with no luck. Headphones still don't work, unless i purposefully apply pressure, then only the right side will play music, but i must keep applying pressure to the jack when connect to the ipod.

This sucks.

UKMacUser

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2011
iPod Touch Headphone Jack Hardly Works Anymore When Using Headphones or Aux Cable!

Try Servisol switch cleaner aerosol. If that doesn't work you have probably got a bad connection.

FooTing

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2011
A similar thing happened to my iPhone. Turned out that a little ball of lint had collected in the bottom of the headphone jack, probably caused from carrying the phone around in my pocket all the time. I guess the lint ball was big enough to keep the headphones from connecting properly. Solution: I took a toothpick and carefully picked out the lint, and it was back to normal.

irishtike

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2011
if all else fails, assuming you have a 2nd gen or newer ipod touch, you could go the bluetooth option. i have a set of stereo bluetooth headphones and they are awesome!!!

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Hi guys, thanks for all the help.

So as it turns out, I ended up cleaning the auxilary port with a q-tip throughly. It was indeed filled with lint inside, however after cleaning it the headphones still displayed music horribly.

It's safe to say that the iPod Touch cannot play music through (any) headphones, unless i'm purposefully applying pressure to the headphone jack with my thumb while walking about.

Now, currently here in China I have 4 different sets of earphones. 1 pair of nice Seinhessiers, a Sony in-ear and 2 others that are simple, cheap headphones.

I have a MacBook Pro, iPod Touch and Shuffle to test out all my headphones and have concluded that the Seinhessiers are indeed messing up. The Seinhessiers have taken a beating throughout this trip in China, and the music fades and disappears at times. This isn't the first time i've had to use the Seinhessier's 3 Year Warranty (for the same issue). The Sony headphones work beautifully when connected to my MBP or Shuffle...but all headphones hardly* play music when connected to the Touch.

*hardly: I must apply pressure to get any sound going. And even then the sound mostly only comes out from the right side and not the left.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.