iPod touch headphone port loose; can it be repaired?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dfink, Dec 13, 2011.

1. dfink macrumors newbie

The headphone port on my itouch 3rd gen is loose, so now I have to wiggle my headphone jack around in there until sound comes out of both left and right. Mostly sound will only come through the right side of whatever device I plug into the ipod. I know it's not water damage because it hasn't been near water in all the time I've used it. I think it's just wear from plugging and unplugging.

Is this something that can be repaired for a reasonable price at an Apple store?

2. begage macrumors newbie

Loose Headphone Port

I've disassembled my own iPod to replace a shattered digitizer. The headphone port on my 2nd Gen Touch is held in place with 3 really small screws. If your port is loose then the screws have worked loose. Depending on your situation and skill set you have a few options. If it's still under warranty take it to your Apple retailer. If it's out of warranty you might do the same thing....they might not charge you for tightening 3 small screws. Ask your friends if any of them know how to do it. Last....if you're brave grab some small tools and open it up yourself. If it's loose now it will only get looser the more you use it. I hope this gives you enough information to decide what you want to do. Good luck!