iPod touch headphone range

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by wootwootman, Sep 13, 2010.

1. wootwootman macrumors member

i was planning on buying some nice headphones for my new touch 4g, but i came across the issue of impedance. apparently once the impedance becomes too great, the ipod can no longer push sound through to my ears.

can anyone give me a rough estimate on the max ohms i can get?

2. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

if you buy a set of portable headphones, you'll have no problem pushing them with an ipod. my ATH-CK10s have an impedance of 55Ω and i listen to my ipt4 at 25%.

just stay clear of higher end full sized headphones and you should be fine. note that Ω is not a clear indicator of how much drive a pair of headphones need. the AKG K701 are notoriously hard to drive and require a very good chain to run properly, and it has an impedance of 62Ω.

3. wootwootman thread starter macrumors member

so 70ohms is a little much then? :p

i guess ill get a some system for my room, and an okay pair of Sennheiser HD 202 headphones.

4. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

well, like i said, ohms isn't a good indicator. it really depends on the the 'phone itself. which model are you looking at?

5. wootwootman thread starter macrumors member

ive decided to just get a a set of logitech z506 speakers and some decent sennheiser hd202 headphones. if you can recommend a better set in that price range then im listening.

6. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

I have an adapter that adds 70ohm resistance to my earphones taking them to around 100ohm, l have to run the volume 15-20% higher to achieve the same volume when using it but the Touch drives them fine.

7. 7even macrumors 6502a

70 should be fine; I have a pair of 64-ohm headphones and they worked with my last Touch just fine.

8. SlamJam12 macrumors regular

Different products

That's is interesting. I hope that the noise canceling BOSE headphones work. These headphones are convenient when there is a lousy travel.

9. Cat-toy macrumors member