Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roccogls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
i got a new ipod touch yesterday and my dad said he had charged it for about 45 mins or so, i got in last night connected to i tunes and started downloading, whicle connected the icon in battery came up as a plug to say charged, but had only been on for an hour if that.... while using today the battery seems to be going down quite fast, ive turned off wi fi, and adjusted the setting as reccomended,so far its been on around 6 hours or so and down to half charge, i had earphones plugged in for an hour or 2 but then let the music play without earphones attached but had no sound on just to see how long it would last.......

any ideas..... might just be me !

cheers neil

sorry for the long story

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
That sounds about right to be honest, especially if you turn the screen on occasionally. My iPod touch usually lasts around 24 hours on one charge, but that's with wi-fi disabled and the screen never activated (instead I start playing by using the remote on my set of headphones).

roccogls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
That sounds about right to be honest, especially if you turn the screen on occasionally. My iPod touch usually lasts around 24 hours on one charge, but that's with wi-fi disabled and the screen never activated (instead I start playing by using the remote on my set of headphones).

so wil having the ear phones connected make a difference and is 24 hours is that constantly playing music? and i was occasionally looking through a few photos and playing on a app but no longer than 5 mins tops, and how long should i get from listening to music in general ?

Skyhigh223

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2009
Listening to music is where the iPod's battery excels. Lasts forever with me.

Modern Lithium Ion batteries (that are in your iPod), take several charges when brand-new to be brought up to maximum capacity. I noticed that my battery life was a little crap when I first got my iPod, but it improved noticeably in the following week or so. :)

Don't worry about battery life too much, browsing the internet, playing games, listening to music and talking on MSN give me about 10 hours of battery life. That's pretty impressive IMHO.

patp

Apr 10, 2008
i charge my 1rst gen TOUCH nightly. At most I get 1 day and that's with some internet browsing, watching videos and listening to music in the car.

roccogls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
so does that sound normal then just im non the wiser new to this ipod stuff had it on charge for 7 hours had wi-fi on for approx half 20 mins or so and just dropped its first bar ?

Skyhigh223

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2009
Sounds about normal, I'd say.

Remember that if it's a brand new device then the battery will need several charges before it comes up to maximum capacity. :rolleyes:

roccogls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
so how far should i let it run down to before recharge, stuck it on charge today as was down to 20%

Skyhigh223

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2009
The battery in your iPod should never be totally drained, it damages its capacity and ability to hold charge.

When your iPod gives you the warning for 20% remaining, you might as well plug it in then.

roccogls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
The battery in your iPod should never be totally drained, it damages its capacity and ability to hold charge.

When your iPod gives you the warning for 20% remaining, you might as well plug it in then.

sorry for the questions just a newby here, i just thought the battery might of lasted longer than it has so far seems to drain quite quick

roccogls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
just wasnt sure what to expect as a first time user, just seem to drain really quick today it lasted till around 3pm but i hadnt turned it off last night was just in sleep then had wi fi on a little on the morning and playing on a few apps just thought it would last longer...

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Battery drains very fast anytime you play games. Having WiFi on also tends to drain it faster. I have an app called Battery Alert that shows me an estimate of how much the battery should last depending on what I do with my Touch. At 100% battery with the WiFi off, it says I should be able to play games for 4 hours, read & write emails/notes for about 16 hours, watch videos for around 10 hours, and listen to music about 36 hours.

Turning off the Touch completely doesn't save battery because it takes a lot of power to turn it back on. Just turn off wifi and put it to sleep whenever you are not using it, and it uses almost no battery while asleep.

roccogls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
Battery drains very fast anytime you play games. Having WiFi on also tends to drain it faster. I have an app called Battery Alert that shows me an estimate of how much the battery should last depending on what I do with my Touch. At 100% battery with the WiFi off, it says I should be able to play games for 4 hours, read & write emails/notes for about 16 hours, watch videos for around 10 hours, and listen to music about 36 hours.

Turning off the Touch completely doesn't save battery because it takes a lot of power to turn it back on. Just turn off wifi and put it to sleep whenever you are not using it, and it uses almost no battery while asleep.

so how will i test this for the music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.