iPod Touch + hidden Bluetooth chip + Belkin game pad = Wiimote?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by Muncher, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Well, think about it. I'm sure the iPod touch has the power to emulate a Wiimote. If apple decides to enable Bluetooth in the iPod touch (its only purpose right now is the Nike+) and Belkin releases their game pad, and it is compatible with the iPod touch 2nd gen... maybe?

Comments?

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

not sure what you mean. Do you mean use it place of a wiimote. That won't work. you need more sophisticated accelerometers (I'm pretty sure the wiimote has several actually), and you need infrared (which unless the belkin game pad has, is missing) and a tracker for the infrared. Would probably be closer to the PS3 controls than anything else.

3. Muncher thread starter macrumors 65816

Muncher

Maybe you're right. It could imitate a classic controller, though.

The iPod does have a decent accelerometer, but the wiimote, IIRC, has multiple.

4. intempo808 macrumors regular

The thing is with the Wii Remote, is that it senses movement in three dimensions. The iPod or iPhone only sense movement in orientation, like landscape, portrait and forward. Therefore, the iPod can't be "placed" in a position in three dimensions, like the Wii Remote can.

Basically, the Wii senses the remotes location in the air because of its three dimension technology properties. So, this isn't possible on the ipod touch or iPhone because it doesn't work in three dimensions.
    :D

5. Muncher thread starter macrumors 65816

Muncher

Actually, you're wrong. The accelerometer in the iPhone/iPod is capable of sensing on all 3 axis - capable being the key word. I looked it up earlier for some other thread.