iPod touch hissing mystery

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by flalaw, Oct 12, 2010.

1. flalaw macrumors regular

When I plug my ipod touch into my car using an aux cable I hear an underlying hissing/squealing noise. It's sort of like the noise you hear when people in old movies are trying to fiddle with radio dials to get a clear signal. Here is what is confusing me.

1. When I plug another mp3 player into my car instead of the ipod it's totally clear.

2. When I plug my ipod into headphones or speakers its totally clear again.

I'm not sure where the problem lies. If it was a problem w/ my aux cable I'd think i'd hear the same problem when I plugged in the other mp3 player. Any thoughts?

2. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

Its the metal part on the cable, its touching the metal on the headphone jack, which is thus making the hissing noise. Your headphones probably don't have the same metal part. You can probably fix this by wrapping a small piece of electrical tape around the end of the cable, put it between the ipod and headphone jack. This is a bad explanation, perhaps someone can do better.

3. flalaw thread starter macrumors regular

makes perfect sense. thank you!

4. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

If you don't like tape you might try a little clear nail polish, just put something between the ipod's headphone jack and the base of the cable jack.