iPod Touch Home Button (Messed Up BAD)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DIYEpicFail, Aug 11, 2011.

1. DIYEpicFail macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!

I was given an iPod Touch 2nd Generation to fix and in the process I broke off the little "Z" shaped spring that makes the home button work, that wouldn't be a problem but I also broke off the solder pad underneath it. (hence my user name) I can't find any trace around it to solder to but I know there has to be one...does anyone know where it is or what an alternate solder point is? I already know about the Activator/SBSettings method of simulating a home button but I'd rather not go that route...

[​IMG]

I scraped around the edges of the solder pad a little but I can't find anything. Also, I can't find anything on the actual solder pad to show that it was connected. The Any input is greatly appreciated!

2. Skwink macrumors member

That's why you send them to Apple to be fixed.

3. jonrando macrumors 6502a

*hopes this isn't the iPod touch of someone you don't know or that person paid you to do this*

4. DIYEpicFail thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, I know the guy, its been sitting on a shelf broken for two years.

I was able to get it working, the little circle (highlighted) is the contact and I had to scrape it a little bit to expose enough metal to solder onto. The iPod works again!

[​IMG]

5. Skwink macrumors member

6. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

Congrats! As a fellow iPod Touch repair man (and iPhone and other apple products) I feel your pain. I personally HATE fixing iPod Touches. They are terrible. The 2G's/3G's use a terrible snap system which is a b*tch to get off. The 4G is a little better with the adhesive but still not very pleasant.

7. Stavel Hilston macrumors newbie