iPod Touch + HTC Incredible + Dell Mini 10v (hackintosh) = no need for MBP?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iperson21, Oct 1, 2010.

1. iperson21 macrumors regular

hey guys, currently, my computer is a 13" Dell XPS m1330 1.8ghz vista buissness, 2gb ram, 160gb HDD, 1.95GB free. -.-
    its pretty much dieing on me, i got it in 6th grade for Christmas, and now im in 9th grade.
    but, i got an iPod Touch 4g 32gb a couple weeks ago, as my dad promised me.
    (i had been waiting 4 years for an ipod, but thats another story)

also, my dad had promised me, he would buy me a MBP, and i wouldn't have to pay for it, well he actually said, pick out any computer you want. under 1700 would be my guess because when we went to the apple store and i was checking out the 27" iMac, he saw the price tag and went "only?!"

(the fact that he promised me a new computer shows he would be willing to let me spend some money)

so, would it be better to get an iPod Touch, a Droid Incredible, and a Dell Mini 10v hackintosh (i already have the hackintosh) and use those 3 devices to get me through high school>

for word documents, i could get the iPod universal dock, ($8 for a Chinese knockoff with a usb cable) and a apple wireless keyboard to write word documents.

htc incredible would be my access to the internet, rooted for wifi tether, or also typing on the go since it has a bigger screen. but here im confused.
    should i get the Droid 2 R2D2 (my dad has a new every two discount i can use, since his phone is now used just to forward calls to his office blackberry, so the price is $200) because it has the physical keyboard, and virtual keyboard for typing on the go?

my dell mini 10v hackintosh is nice, i used it to watch one of the redskins games(the loss to houston)

what do you guys think i should do?

2. tonyunreal macrumors regular

tonyunreal

Sounds like a plan, consider you're getting a Droid for $200 without any additional contract, you could use your iPod touch for gaming and music.

However, as a owner of mini 10v myself, I strongly suggest against using it as a everyday computer, it's good for a toy but the sub-par performance and the horrible screen are definitely not good for your health and your productivity. I can understand that by continue using the 10v you could save some budget for your dad, but I would suggest you at least consider the white Macbook, it's much better in almost every aspect(except for the girlish looking).

3. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

Paint it black :)

4. apaulct macrumors newbie

VZW charges additional for tethering. In addition to the $29.99 data charge for the Droid, they charge an additional $30 for 5GB data when tethered. Over 5GB is $0.05 / MB, yes that's per megabyte. I figured my average broadband usage over the last 2 months & it would cost $550/mo if I replaced my cable with VZW 3G. 3G/4G data is good on a smartphone (30/mo unlimited) but gets very pricey as a broadband replacement.

5. iperson21 thread starter macrumors regular

if i root it, and activate wifi tether, and don't use it for downloading huge files, i doubt they would find out.