ipod touch icon

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Mikey-, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Mikey- macrumors regular

when i plug my ipod touch into my mac the ipod icon doesn't appear on my desktop or the sidebar in the finder.

is there something wrong

2. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

iPod touch does not mount as a drive on Mac/PC. This is an intentional move from Apple to stop people peering into the iPod touch's frameworks and inner file structures which may lead to people becoming aware of how to harm these touch devices.

There is nothing wrong, this is perfectly normal. iPod touch is one of the first iPod's to not have the ability to mount as a storage drive.

R-Fly

3. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

does that really help? look at what all the jaibreakers can do. if they can view files, why should i be punished if i follow apple's rules?

4. adbe macrumors 6502a

What earthly reason would you have for poking around inside the iPod Touch flavour of OSX? If you're actually clued enough to be able to play in that area safely *and* usefully, you're presumably smart enough to know why it's generally better if the great unwashed, leave the internals alone.

Apple is hardly alone in this. Even desktop OSs (Linux excepted of course) try to strongly discourage users from wandering into OS space. With a desktop OS, it is unfortunately a necessary evil that from time to time users, or at least support personnel, can get into the low level stuff to fix things, but with essentially discrete devices such as the Touch, TiVo boxes, or any other consumer electronics device that is powered by a full fat OS under the skin, there is no reason for users to ever need access to system files.

If one wants to gain access to that stuff to mess around, or repurpose devices, there's usually not a lot the manufacturers can do to stop it, but why would they go about making it easier? It just creates support calls, and potentially eats sales of higher priced alternatives.

5. aurorius macrumors newbie

Well actually I do have a good reason...

My apple G4 crashed and burned!
    I want to port all of the stuff - music and playlists - from my iPod touch to my new laptop!
    So, for us honest, decent users who have a genuine need to be able to see their iPod touch as a drive, I think it's very annoying that Apple have decided to go this route.
    :mad::mad:

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The iPod touch cannot be used as an external hard drive. It not mounting is normal.

7. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Either purchase DataCase from the app store or go to a real store and spend £5 on a 2Gb flash drive. Or buy an external.

8. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

The iPod is not meant to be a backup device for your music. For a secure backup, buy a external hd or backup to CDs/DVDs.

Besides that, maybe this programm can help you.