Ipod Touch Improvements (Music Only)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cakbar, Aug 11, 2008.

1. cakbar macrumors regular

There are plenty of threads requesting or speculating on possible improvements to the Touch that discuss everything apart from its function as a music player. I think it would be good to have a discussion about where Apple could improve this aspect of it.

My main problem with the Touch, is the inability to control the music functions without looking at it. IMO, one of the easiest things Apple could do to make this easier, short of adding buttons, remote or whatever, would be to utilize the corners of the touch screen via a software update. While the music player is on, the corners of the screen become active controls for the music player. Volume up/down, skip song etc.. It could be customizable so that you can place whatever controls in whatever corner you want. This function could be easily turned off if you don't want to use it. It should also be able to work without the screen being turned on, in order to conserve battery life.

Any thoughts on this, and any ideas on other aspects of the Touch as a music player that can be improved.

Other improvements I'd like to see.
    1. Customizable EQ
    2. L/R balance control.

2. bigm978 macrumors member

you can just double tap the home button to bring up the music controls wherever you are on the ipod

3. cakbar thread starter macrumors regular

I know that. The reason for using the corners is to make it easier to use without looking at it, for example while in your pocket or attached to your belt. Can you easily double tap the home button, then change volume or skip a song without looking at your screen? I can't, and I suspect most people can't either.

4. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I think a good addition to the touch would be a volume rocker a la the iPhone. It could also use a button in place of the mute switch on the iPhone to be set for certain commands via the Settings app, like how iPhone users can change what double clicking the menu button does. So, it could be set to pause, skip, fully unlock, open an app, take a screenshot, mute the iPod, etc. Most iPod touch users would rather just use the button for pause rather than mute, because the touch does not ring like a phone.

5. Khryz macrumors 6502a

I did notice this inability last night with my 2nd day with the iPod Touch. You obviously have to look at the screen and focus on it to change the songs, but you didn't have to with the 5G iPod.

I guess it's a minor trade-off to everything else you get though.

6. jupiter457 macrumors newbie

Music related wishlist items

There are a couple of playlist improvements I would like to see. With my old Ipod I could just hold down on a song to add it to the On the Go playlist. With the touch it seems that I have to be IN the playlist to add a song. It was nice to be able to do that on the fly. Also, I would like to be able to edit existing playlists from the Ipod Touch and not have to do it on the computer. Finally, (and maybe I just don't know how to do this) I would like to be able to edit song titles, artist names etc from the Touch. That way I can fix mistakes or missing information while I am looking at it. I often don't remember to do it when I am doing a sync or at the computer.
    I have to work hard to find complaints. I love this machine.

7. Master Debater macrumors member

Regarding the screen-corner-buttons idea, if it's in your pocket, wouldn't it be easy to accidentally press one of them? I'd imagine that would be really annoying.

8. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

You've hit on the main reason I prefer my Samsung P2 over my Touch for music. The P2 has volume +/- and play/pause buttons on it's sides. It also has 3 user definable EQ profiles. As far as I know, nothing has L/R balance control.

9. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I wouldn't mind a working EQ (without any silly level workarounds), period. EQ isn't such a huge deal, but on the occasions I want to use it, I would like it to 'just work' - like so many Apple stuff actually doesn't for important stuff.

On the Touch I'd like to see the ability to create and name playlists like on many Creative players for example. The interface of the Touch would make it so much simpler than convoluted multi-keypresses to name stuff.

More choice in nice remotes. Now that Sony has gone down the chute and is basically playing iPod catch-up with it's players, I'd like to see some really neat clip-on display remotes of the type that Sony used to do so well. With Bluetooth and a mic to act as a headset in the manner of the Gear4 Blueye, all the better.

10. IrishMac macrumors member

This doesn't bother me so much as I have a 4 hour daily commute so it just sits and plays music and most of the time I choose a playlist long enough to last the journey.

Prior to the 2.1 update I did find the interface a bit sluggish but its sped up nicely now.

One thing I would like is a quicker boot up time. I do notice that it can take just a few moments. Its not a biggie but noticeable.

I've actually just blogged about my experience using the touch and going back to an iPod Classic if any one is interested: http://www.appleobserver.net/wordpress/?p=100

11. therealmrbob macrumors regular

therealmrbob

an in line remote would be nice, eq, playlist features like on the classic (IE: recently played and other auto playlists)

12. thebeesknees macrumors regular

The corners idea is brilliant! I can see Apple implementing something like that.

13. Sam Yikin macrumors regular

That corners thing is a good idea actually.
    If its not already there the ability to change the name, artist ETC of songs would be nice.

14. fake1009 macrumors member

we need the built in smart playlists that the 5g ipod video had. I found that the "recently added" smart playlists is helpful. This is so I don't need to search for songs I have not yet heard.

15. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

I like the idea of an on demand equalizer instead of the standard choices you get when setting your Eq. Some of those are not worth diddly.
    Also, a tazer initiated by a 3-second hold on the home key. Imagine what fun.:D

16. DCBass macrumors 6502

no offense, but i don't understand why this is an issue for you. that was not a 5g thing, that was a smart playlist that is automatically set up in itunes when you download it. thus, it went onto your 5g.

i have a couple recent added playlists.. 6 months, 2 weeks. i'm thinking about splitting those further into genres.

cheers,

DCBass

17. ricartedor macrumors member

I would like it if you could use gestures while the screen was off, all of these anywhere on the screen: tap to pause, tap again to play/ swipe right to skip ahead, swipe slowly to fast forward, swipe left to go to previous song, swipe slowly to rewind/ maybe swipe up and down for volume.

The only issue with all of these is that the reason the ipod has the hold button and the screen turns off is so that it doesnt mess up music playback in your pocket.. but still they could have options...