iPod Touch instead of iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Philsy, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Philsy macrumors 6502a

I've been holding off buying an iPhone because it is lacking features I need (3G, MMS, video recording, To Do syncing), and hoping a Mk2 would give me all that and more.

However, now my situation has changed in that my trusty 20Gb iPod has died - hard-drive has stopped. So I need a new iPod.

What do I do? I could get a Classic but don't really need 80Gb and, well, it seems very similar to my current iPod and I fancy something new.

The other option is a 32Gb iPod Touch - plenty of capacity for my needs and it has most of the iPhone features. I could use this and my current Sony phone and I'd have everything an iPhone would offer and more, but in two units not one. But I'd be limited to Wifi for web browsing and email.

Another option is to buy a cheap iPod on eBay to keep me going until an improved iPhone appears.

Decisions, decisions....

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Phil

2. Edwardz macrumors regular

Get a used iPod on ebay for the time being, and wait for an upgraded iPhone till May/June. Why buy a 32 gb iPod Touch if you can wait 2 months for a possibly upgraded iPhone? My opinion. Trust me, if I can wait this long for the new iPhone anyone can.

3. karlwig macrumors 6502

iPod touch is a little smaller than iPhone, but not much. It's still pretty big. For me, carrying that AND my phone would just be too much for my pockets. So I've decided to go with iPhone, to get everything on one device. I don't mind if there's coming a new version with 3G, as I don't use EDGE either - just wiFi as it's free and faster, and when I'm at the bus I'm sure I don't HAVE TO surf on the internet. I'll survive.

An option would be buying a iPod nano 8GIG. It's pretty cool, and perhaps a little more "new" than the classic would be. That was my second choice, but as I need a new phone I just decided to go for iPhone anyway...

4. Philsy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, the Nano does look good, but I like to carry all my CDs with me, which takes up about 20Gb :( I think a secondhand iPod may be the answer in the short term.

5. Philsy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've bought a 32Gb iPod Touch and am seriously impressed with it.

The plan is to use this alongside my SE mobile phone until Apple brings out a 32Gb iPhone with 3G and MMS. Then I'll sell the Touch and get the iPhone :)

6. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Seems like a fair compromise. Better than waiting for a 3G iPhone as that's potentially 6-9 months off yet.

The Touch would be a killer device if it had bluetooth and you could pair/tether it with a small HSDPA/3.5G phone. Apple know this, so no bluetooth. Shame.

7. Philsy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apparently, the iPhone's Bluetooth doesn't even sync with a Mac, which my Sony phone does. Mad! :confused:

8. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

It doesn't, you're right. I suspect some of it is down to priorities in developer time and that they'll get the bluetooth stack sorted at some point. They can then allow the above and provide useful stuff like A2DP support.

I never use bluetooth on my iPhone.

9. Philsy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I use Bluetooth for my in-car handsfree, and also for sending text messages from the Mac (used to use Address Book until Leopard, now use BluePhoneElite).

Phil

10. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Good decision phil...

I can see Ipod touch going far until extent of 160gb.. this is what people want... to use cover flow.. iPod touch is going to undergo serious and rigorous updating.. i reckon it will feature a camera sooner or later, and would be the best alternative for those who dont want iPhone...

good choice

11. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

Personally i can see that!, the touch being the winner out of the 2, in a uber high speed wifi world its only to speak with the not-so up-to-date peons that you'd choose the iphone. so bin the cellular hardware, theoretically it could happen!

12. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

From my point of view, it appears that just about all of the features that were keeping you from ordering an iPhone will be added in the iPhone 2 software update in June (with the exception of 3G, as I think that 3G requires a 3G chip or something like that). So unless if you really want/need the 3G, I would think that it is safe to purchase the iPhone now.

EDIT: Sorry, I guess I should read all the posts, I would have realized that you already had made your decision.