iPod touch + invisibleSHIELD

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by pisces03x, Jun 17, 2008.

1. pisces03x macrumors regular

I have an older 16GB iPod touch (from about September when they were announced, not if it makes much of a difference) and up until now a single rubber case has served me well. Unfortunately, I believe it's time to replace the case because it's getting a bit worn and what not.
    So, I was looking up top iPod touch cases online when the invisibleSHIELD came up. Now, this is not the first time I've considered purchasing an invisibleSHIELD; I've also considered getting one several months ago.
    So I placed the order and it should be coming soon. I just have one question to anybody who already has an iPod touch with the invisibleSHIELD on it: does the shield interfere with the iPod's docking capabilities? I have several universal docks and an iPod Hi-Fi and would hate to not be able to use them anymore because the shield interferes with it.

Thank you soooooo much! =)

2. David G. macrumors 65816

I have a iHome ih-31 and it interfered with that. Solved the problem with just a tad bit of sanding down the plastic though.

EDIT I just checked with my 9 mm iPod touch dock adapter, which I obviously don't use but it fits, perfect alignment with my BestSkinsEver cover, which is pretty much the exact same thing, but cheaper.

3. pisces03x thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks sooooo much! Guess I made the right choice in buying the invisibleSHIELD ;D
    I would've hated it if it didn't fit... Besides, I have some extra iPod video adapters that I can use if it's too tight.
    Now to just wait until it gets here ;D

4. Nickelz92 macrumors member

I have an iPod touch with an invisibleSHIELD case on it. It's really great, a perfect deal. My favorite part about it is that it protects the iPod (so underneath it is still "brand new") without compromising the awesome iPod touch form factor.

In regards to the dock, I haven't had to dock my iPod b/c I don't have any devices that require me to. However, I would assume it'd be fine as long as you apply the SHIELD right. I don't have a problem using the dock connector or anything.

If you want a picture of the dock area with invisiSHIELD, let me know. :cool:

5. pisces03x thread starter macrumors regular

Pictures would be great, thanks soo much! =)
    If possible, can you also please get a few pics of the top (like around the wifi antenna and the sleep/wake button)? I'm worried about the shield not covering the corners and them getting a bit banged up and whatever, I'm interested in seeing how much corner is actually open.

Thanks! =]

6. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

You know I considered an invisible shield for my new iPod Touch, but I've had an unhappy history with the product. A few months back when I bought my new PSP Slim I decided to give it a try and it was just a mess. The first time I put it on it went on crooked and upon pulling it up I stretched the material, so it didn't fit anymore, not to mention there was a bunch of dust squarely attached to the underside at this point.

$20 just flushed down the toilet.

Sigh.

7. darkmeton macrumors member

Well it's how you installed it. First you must clean your gadget will a dry cloth and that thing they use to clean windows( worked perfectly for me ). First time I istalled IS it didn't allign that well so I had to remove it and reinstall it . No streching happened. The plastic was good as new. Remember to aply a lot of lubricant, so that the shield slides on top of the screen and not stick. It's the best way to alling it perfectly. Then leave it for a day to dry...I' ve enjoyed my IS. To the most
    cheers

8. Gunn003 macrumors newbie

Well I didn't even get mine on "perfectly" (corner on the back and a little bit crooked on the front), but it's still fine. I do remember having to take it off and reapply it a lot of times before being satisfied, though.

It doesn't feel as sleek and cool as it did when there wasn't a shield on it, but that's my only complaint, but I'd rather it not get scratched and feel different than the opposite.

9. kitch95 macrumors regular

kitch95

the invisible shield is a great for the touch but you need to put it very carefully

10. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

Trust me, I put as much liquid as was left in the bottle, but it was just like an instant bond the moment you put it down.

So it was crooked, and I tried to fix it. ANd it got messed up.

SO I'm done with them.

11. darkmeton macrumors member

hmm.. Maybe the secret is that you aply some liquid to the screen aswell..I think that's how the IS glides on top of the screen.. In order to apply it correctly.

12. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I've got an invisible shield on my touch and it's wonderful. So much better than the leather or silicon cases I've had in the past. It gives the touch a nice gloss finish (but doesn't add to the reflections as far as I can tell) and a really nice feel.

It went on a breeze. You've got ages for it to adhere so you can slide it around and take your time. There's a few videos on how to do it with some tips and tricks on their website which I suggest you watch before jumping in. I'd highly recommend it and I doubt I'll ever go a case again. My tips are be patient, take your time, and don't rush it (there's no need).

13. whiteness macrumors member

use power support
    currently im using power support for my ipod!
    really good shield

14. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I bought an iPod Touch 16gb in September, and immediately placed an order for an invisible shield. It came within a few days. I applied it fairly easily (only had to take it up once), then left if for 24 hours as they said in the directions (I can't stand to be without my iPod for that long). There will be bubbles at first, but give it a week and they will all come out. I now have one scratch and a rip in my front cover, so I am in the process of having it replaced, and so far they are pretty helpful. Make sure you register it though.

I also use mine with a Universal dock, and it fits perfectly and snugly. It will not fit in some really tight cases though. I also could not fit it in my old Altec Lansing IM7 speakers because the cover made it too wide, and the iPod was too tall to begin with. (Not a big deal, I almost never use it)

I highly recommend this cover, and have had nothing but good experiences with it. I can throw my iPod in my pocket with keys and change and not have to worry about it. I am actually going to order another one for my new cell phone because I am so satisfied.

15. g3ck0 macrumors member

I've just bought Power Support. I noticed that the film to protect the top of the ipod is not sized perfectly. Is that normal? There is a small edge surrounding the film where the ipod surface is actually exposed. There is also a circular whole that is not the same size the as the button either. I was also a little disappointed that the film to protect the back of the ipod was so small. The whole curve and side of the ipod is also exposed! Your thoughts?