iPod Touch/iPad and Whistle OR iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Cursor, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

Hello everyone,

I just started my own graphic design business, and I'm torn between getting the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad.

I need a device to organize my appointments, address book, notes and other things on the fly while I'm freelancing. Then I can sync them up to my home-office Mac. (It would also be nice to carry around my design portfolio/website, which is why I was thinking about getting the iPad.)

I have a pay-as-you-go Virgin Mobile phone now, but it would be more convenient to just carry around one device, and be able to ditch the Virgin phone.

The iPhone's ATT contract is a bit pricy for me ($65/month), since I won't be using all the monthly minutes that come with the contract.

Anybody have any advice?

Does anybody use Whistle (http://whistlephone.com/) with their iPad/iPod Touch? How does it work? Do they supply you with a phone number to use with it?

I'm leaning towards an iPod Touch, since the iPad is a bit bulky, but I think it would "wow" prospective clients to show off my portfolio on the iPad (no, I can't buy both!).

This decision is stressing me out; any help would be appreciated!

2. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

I would probably suggest the iPad, and I've never, ever heard of Whistle before this. However, I have heard of the Apple Peel 250 for the iPod Touch. It's a case, basically, that attaches to your iPod, and gives it cell phone capabilities. But you will have to pay for a plan.

Pros and Cons

iPod Touch: Pros

1. Not bulky
    2. Cameras
    3. Retina Display
    4. Whistle or Apple Peel (If they work.)

iPod Touch: Cons

1. Smallish screen
    2. Maybe not all the applications as the iPad and iPhone
    3. Whistle probably uses wi-fi. (Not sure.)
    4. Smallish screen

iPad: Pros

1. Large Screen
    2. Possibly more applications than iPod touch
    3. Whistle
    iPad: Cons

1. Bulky
    2. Whistle probably uses wi-fi. (Again not sure.)

iPhone: Pros

1. Cell phone capability
    2. Retina Display
    3. Not bulky
    4. Cameras

iPhone: Cons

1. Smallish screen
    2. Maybe not all applications as iPad

3. mush03 macrumors newbie

get the iphone or at least a prepaid phone + ipod touch
    a cell phone is a must nowadays IMO especially if u own ur own business... ull need something reliable to pick up ur calls when someone calls u... with the ipod touch only ur screwed w/o wifi

whistle is not that reliable right now... for outgoing calls its fine, but on some incomming calls it rings but u cant answer it

4. Surely Guest

Surely

I'd recommend an iPad 3G and Whistle.

From Whistle's website:

5. Cursor thread starter macrumors 6502

Cursor

Does Whistle include voicemail? Ever heard of VOIP.ms?

6. Surely Guest

Surely

I'm not sure.

Haven't heard of VOIP.ms

What about GoogleVoice? Perhaps GV and Whistle combined could do it for you.

7. Cursor thread starter macrumors 6502

Cursor

How does GoogleVoice work in conjunction with Whistle? Do you sign up with Whistle and it works through GoogleVoice? I get confused trying to figure out how to use both services.

8. Surely Guest

Surely

I would imagine that you could forward your Whistle phone number to your GoogleVoice account, which has Voicemail.

9. Cursor thread starter macrumors 6502

Cursor

So I signed up with Whistle, and I noticed that they assigned a Wyoming area code to me (I'm on the East Coast). I researched a bit, and found out that you can't pick your own area code, which is a deal-breaker for me. So Whistle is out.

I'll have to research VOIP.ms more to see what upsides/downsides they offer.

Anybody have an opinion on Facetime (iPod has it, iPad doesn't)? How important is it to you? Do you use it often?

10. apaulct macrumors newbie

Whistle & google voice work fantastic together. Signup for a GV number, you can pick not only your area code but exchange too. Therefore you can get a local number for GV. Just remember, google voice is a phone manager, not a VoIP solution. Setup google voice to ring your whistle number in addition to any other numbers you may have (cell, landline, skype, etc). Give out only your google voice number, when someone calls it, it rings all numbers associated with your GV account. You can pickup the call from any of the above.

GV provides voice mail if you don't answer.

Another benefit of GV, you can place a "Call Me" applet on your website. When a customer clicks it, GV calls them, then your GV number and connects. Since it's an incoming call to both parties, there are no phone charges (except minutes if either is a cell phone).

11. Cursor thread starter macrumors 6502

Cursor

Alright. I think I've made up my mind, and I'm going to go with the iPad 16GB 3G. Thanks for all the comments. I'm going to rig it with a headphone/mic combo and use either Whistle/GoogleVoice or VOIP.ms with it as a substitute to my pay-as-you-go phone.

Anybody ever find out when Apple will start putting refurb 3G iPads up on their online store?