ipod touch, ipad mini, or iphone 4s?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Truefan31, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Alright, xmas time coming, my daughter is 8. I had a post earlier about whether to get a nexus 7 or ipad mini, now it's do i get her a ipad mini, ipod touch 5g, or a iphone 4s?

She loves playing with my 4s, but I feel she's a lil too young for a phone just yet. But then a part of me says when she's doing sleepovers or whatever, it's nice if she can call me, as well as use the iphone's gps to locate her if needed.

She wanted an ipad, but after a halloween party where her bff had a ipod touch 4g, she likes the portability of the ipod. I'm just torn cuz i know the ipod 5g isn't a phone, but there's ways around that i've heard? tapatalk, google voice? Can someone elaborate here?

Finally, a mini was at first gonna be what I got her for christmas, but when I asked her which she liked the most between the two (ipod/mini), she said the ipod cuz it's more portable and she said people wouldn't be so inclined to steal the ipod over the ipad mini lol! I love my princess btw.

Any suggestions?

2. AT101ET macrumors 6502

I'd get the iPod Touch 5G.
    It's portable, same size as the iPhone and in my opinion, better than the mini.
    If you want a phone for her, you can buy some cases that convert the iPod touch into a phone. These aren't Apple licensed but work quite well. Using this, you could give her the case to put on her iPod, put a sim in it, and you could track her and speak to her on her sleep-overs, and when you don't want her to have a phone, just take the case off...
    In addition, if you'e worrying about her getting it stolen, you could always personalise a message on the back for her. This does lower the resale value and makes it complicated if returning the product to Apple.
    However, it would be helpful if the iPod was ever lost or stolen, and besides you could write something really nice to make your princess feel special :)
    I'd also make sure to get a colour she likes, and get a case for it too. Don't let its beauty diminish because of a couple of drops...

3. The13thDoctor macrumors regular

You my man, know really how to sell a product.

4. Truefan31 thread starter macrumors 68040

Truefan31

you really do lol.

What do you mean get a case for calls on an ipod? Can you point me in the right direction?

5. AT101ET, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012

AT101ET macrumors 6502

You can buy third party cases for the iPod touch that you can put a sim in and you can use the iPod as a phone. Some require a jailbreak and as far as I know, there are no cases like this available for the 5th gen tough, but you can expect to see them in a month I assume...

Examples;

http://morphcase.com/

http://www.ipeel.hk/eng/products.asp?id=2

6. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

i dont think the case that change ipod to iphone is available yet for the 5th gen.

Still, if she prefers Ipod then get her Pink one. You can contact her through Facetime if you have another Idevice, just make sure she is in a place with wifi. Turn it on all the time in case you want to contact.

i still dont know who the ipad mini is targeted at. Young kids prefer Ipod for portability, Older people wants tablets-size tablets not mini notebook shape ibook.

7. AT101ET macrumors 6502

I did say there isn't a case out for it yet, but there will be in a month or so.
    Also, looking back at the original post, it does say he has an iPhone that his daughter keeps using. That resolved the problem o needing to buy an I-device for FaceTime :)