iPod touch/iPhone as a Joystick for Flight Sim

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by puercaeli, Jun 14, 2008.

1. puercaeli macrumors regular

I was wondering how viable it is to turn ipod touch into a joystick to play with games like Flight Simulator X on Windows?

2. scialex macrumors newbie

:confused:

just buy a regular joystick it would be way cheaper

3. donaldj macrumors 6502

donaldj

I would assume they already have a Touch.

It wouldn't be THAT hard to make, however you'd need to make one yourself, or ask a developer nicely, because as far as I know, one doesnt exist.

4. puercaeli thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I already have joy stick and iPod Touch... and I was thinking about getting the yoke but then I thought may be I could use iPod Touch instead.

Thanks for the reply and hopefully I will find someone to make it for me since I have no idea how to make this kind of stuff... but only problem might be that since wifi will be used to communicate between iPod touch and computer, this might waste bettery big time...

5. grider macrumors newbie

On *windows*! Now thats an insult! :D

6. puercaeli thread starter macrumors regular

I wish Steve Jobs was into Flight Sim as microsoft is...
    (I know you can play x-plane on the mac and more accurate aerodynamically but I prefer the 'look' of the MSFS...)

7. db2431 macrumors regular

Buy a wiimote, that got hacked to work in windows, no idea how good it works though.

8. boyscoutslayer macrumors newbie

Pretty bad.

Any news on this one? It would be awesome to use the iPod Touch or iPhone as a emulator controller.

9. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Use X-Plane on the computer (Mac, Windows, or Linux,) - which, by the way, you really should use. It's still actively developed, and is way better than FSX (I've owned both since version 1 of each.)

Then buy "X-Plane REMOTE" from the iTunes Store for your iOS device. You can use your iOS device's accelerometer to act as yoke (controller for you non-pilots,) as well as show you various display elements (various parts of your instrument panel, maps, etc.

I do not know of any way to make it work with Microsoft Flight Sim, though.

P.S. There are versions of X-Plane for the iPhone and iPad!

edit: Oh, here are the directions on how to use a WiiMote in Windows. No 'hacking' required on the WiiMote, but you do need Bluetooth on the Windows system.

10. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato