Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marker227

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Hi, let me cut to the chase.

I know it's possible to tether an iPod Touch to any Nokia cell phone via Bluetooth to use the cellphones data network. I know this because I've done it. I just purchased an iPhone 5S thinking that I could tether to my phone just as I normally would with any iPod/iPad device. After I pair the two devices via BT, I get an error message saying "Device Not Supported". This message usually appears on both the Nokia and iPhone. The iPhone 5S does not have a sim card in it. I plainly want to treat the 5S as a glorified iPod Touch.

What I'm wondering is why can't I tether to an iPhone 5S, but I can tether to any iPad, or iPod Touch? Just to be clear, yes I do tether over Bluetooth.

If anyone is curious, I purchased the iPhone 5S over the new iPod Touch because of certain lack of features the new iPod has.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
Makes no sense to me, I did that for a long time actually did an iPhone 5 tethered on a Samsung Note and it worked just fine. Try resetting the iPhone... oh one thing I did leave the old sim card in there and it would say the sim was not active, but that just when booting.

marker227

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Were you tethering via Bluetooth or WiFi?

I did reset the iPhone and Nokia phone.

I setup the iPhone with a sim to get passed the "No sim card" alert page. Once I did that, I paired the iPhone with my Nokia. After successfully pairing is when I got that compatibility error message. The sim card was out of the phone by this point. I don't think that should make any difference though.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
Were you tethering via Bluetooth or WiFi?

I did reset the iPhone and Nokia phone.

I setup the iPhone with a sim to get passed the "No sim card" alert page. Once I did that, I paired the iPhone with my Nokia. After successfully pairing is when I got that compatibility error message. The sim card was out of the phone by this point. I don't think that should make any difference though.

Wifi and I'd try leaving the Sim card in, it may not make a difference, but you never know for sure as I always leave mine in. I really don't see a reason to remove it. The one time notice that the sim isn't activated doesn't bother me.

How old is the Nokia phone as I recall in the past Nokia phones have never had very good bluetooth connectivity.

This iPod Touch has connected to 3 different car radio/head units, 3 different speaker docks and some headphones and its never given me an issue with any of them. So, I betting its the Nokia.

marker227

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Wifi and I'd try leaving the Sim card in, it may not make a difference, but you never know for sure as I always leave mine in. I really don't see a reason to remove it. The one time notice that the sim isn't activated doesn't bother me.

How old is the Nokia phone as I recall in the past Nokia phones have never had very good bluetooth connectivity.

This iPod Touch has connected to 3 different car radio/head units, 3 different speaker docks and some headphones and its never given me an issue with any of them. So, I betting its the Nokia.

I don't tether via WiFi. I use Bluetooth.

I just tried my friends iPhone 4. That also says "Device not supported" when I try to tether to it. Nokia phones that are not smart phones do not have the option to tether via WiFi.

marker227

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Any Nokia phone (that is not a smartphone, IE: not running Android OS.) can tether to an IOS device that is not an iPhone apparently. I've tried this with many different phones. As I said earlier, not all Nokia phones have WiFi. That feature is usually reserved for the smartphones or the more expensive models. I personally own a C3 and another Nokia that is similar in size. Both do not run the Android OS.

I stumbled upon this tethering feature by mistake. I'm not sure why it works, but it does. Most people don't realize it's possible to share internet via Bluetooth. I do it all the time. Sometimes with the BT protocol, or sometimes with just a USB cable hooked to my PC from my phone.

I'm still unsure why the iPhone doesn't allow an internet connection via Bluetooth, but the iPod/iPad does. It would have been nice to have tethering with the iPhone since I didn't want to upgrade to the iPod 6th generation.

Last edited:

PhilHeron

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2014
You may remember that I used the same setup as you - Nokia C3 and iPod Touch 5G, tethered over Bluetooth.
I got fed up carrying two devices, with two chargers, so I bought an IPhone 5s last month and moved my number over from the Nokia.
I just tried connecting my iPhone to my Nokia and, as you reported, I couldn't get it to work. No problems with my iPod or iPad.
Out of interest, if you've got an iPhone, why don't you just get a SIM card for it and use it as a phone?

marker227

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
You may remember that I used the same setup as you - Nokia C3 and iPod Touch 5G, tethered over Bluetooth.
I got fed up carrying two devices, with two chargers, so I bought an IPhone 5s last month and moved my number over from the Nokia.
I just tried connecting my iPhone to my Nokia and, as you reported, I couldn't get it to work. No problems with my iPod or iPad.
Out of interest, if you've got an iPhone, why don't you just get a SIM card for it and use it as a phone?

I have since returned the iPhone because of the lack of tethering ability. I am keeping my dumb-phone because AT&T offers unlimited data for $15 a month instead of the usual $30 (with GB limit) for smartphones. It's not the fastest speed, but it works wonders when I tether in my car to either a computer or my iPod. So in short, I am doing it because it's cheaper and allows me to retain unlimited data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.