ipod Touch / iPhone Switching from PC to Mac

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by stevemcc, Sep 24, 2008.

1. stevemcc macrumors newbie

Need some help here. My son recently bought an iPod Touch from a friend. The iPod had been used with a PC. I own an Iphone and have it synced to my MacBook.

My question is how can I reset (reformatt) the ipod to work on my MacBook and can I have both the iphone and his ipod synced to the same computer.

I am not interested in keeping any of the data or settings from the ipod:apple:

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Connect to computer, open iTunes, click on iPod in iTunes and then click restore. Done.

This will give you the latest version of the firmware. It technically is not needed since all Flash-Based iPods and the iPhone are PC formatted, but if you want to start again to prevent the old information from still being there, then just follow the above instructions.

TEG

3. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

you do not need to reformat the ipod as theres no physical drive inside its all ram disks. The ipod out the box works with both pc and mac, I switch between the two from time to time with no problems.

If your planning to sync the ipod with two libraries then you may run into a problem as you might get itunes erasing songs when u sync with the mac after syncing songs from the PC and same for photos, videos and apps

yes you can sync both iphone and ipod on the same computer, itunes doesn't restrict you to just one device.

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

You have no idea what you're talking about, stevemcc don't listen to this guy.

The iPod touch has flash memory, but so does every single other iPod aside from the iPod classic. However, the iPod touch is the only iPod that does not have disk mode (in other words, you can't use it as a portable drive like with other iPods), which is why it does not need to be formatted to be read by a particular operating system.

5. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

ram disk.... flash memory bloody hell I am allowed to mis-type something you know a simple it's actually flash memory would of been fine but no u had to be a jackass

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I don't see it as a mis-typing, more of just a mistake in general, considering that RAM and flash are two totally different things. Flash can retain memory after the power supply is lost, RAM cannot. Huge difference.