iPod touch...iPhone...the tradeoffs..what to do

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by wpwj40e, Sep 14, 2007.

1. wpwj40e macrumors regular

I have patiently(not) waited for a widescreen iPod for 2 years. Was sick when they announced the iPhone and knew we couldn't get it. (2 yr contract verizon and AT&T does not work for us).

Was giddy with joy when the touch was announced and while lamenting the lack of storage - just didn't care...the iPod I have wanted for 2 years was finally here...at least pretty close to it!

Raced to my local Apple this am store to check it out and purchase. Didn't even read macrumors as I had heard they were in stock.

There is nothing new to say here...the store had several on display and two people RETURNING them for another. Every single one had the weird black/green/negative issues we have now all seen on the internet. When compared to the iPhone sitting next to the touch - no comparison. Night and day difference.

From an audio standpoint (I had two different sennheisers sets of headphones with me and an adaptor(for the iphone))...they were both pretty close. The iPod touch was a tad thinner and noiser...which could only be told on songs where there was a fair amount of treble and highs. But that is being pretty picky.

I am sick...I REALLY wanted my new widescreen iPod. But I cannot fork over $400 for a video device that simply can't show the video in anything but the brightest of scenes...and the iPhone did a better job there as well.

Now I'm thinking - why get the touch? Why not just spend $50-100 more (refurb versus new) and get the iPhone. Better screen, more features (we know what they are) etc.

The only con I can think of is the need to have to faux activate and perhaps end up with an iPod that won't work if Apple determined to disable this "hack" somehow. Then selling it would be my option.

Tell me I'm crazy - I really, really want my video on my iPod ion widesceen. I want WiFi. And I need some mail ability with my .mac account (which also appears to not work on the itouch).

Should I just get the phone and have all the features I want plus...or wait?

Thanks for any advice!!!

2. onionperson654 macrumors regular

onionperson654

Wait... I think we've learned that from the recent iPhone price drop.

But you don't have to wait for 2 months. Instead, I'd wait to buy it from somewhere that has a more liberal, no restocking fee return policy which I believe Best Buy, Amazon, etc. do (I'm waiting for Costco and it's 90 day no-questions asked policy, so if you're a member, I'd go that way). Then you can watch people really get to the bottom of this issue, see if Apple has any response, see how hacking the ipod touch goes, and consider getting and hacking an iPhone.

You're probably in the same boat as me, you aren't willing to wait for yet another generation to come out, but worried about the reports of quality (video, audio hiss) and the lack of many iphone applications. Go ahead and treat yourself, but leave an exit strategy. You may thank yourself later.

3. parrotheadmjb macrumors 6502

I saw all of the iPhone appications on a bittorrent and on a website for download, the websites will tell you what software to download to put these iPhone appications on your iPod Touch, but they only work where there is wifi. Mail, stock quotes, maps, weather, etc.

4. wpwj40e thread starter macrumors regular

Yea...I think we are in the same boat:) I am a member of Costco and that had not occurred to me. Not a bad strategy - after going through 2 intel iMacs(first gen 2006) - I bought from Amazon so I did not get stuck with a wacked return policy. Wouldn't you know the 3rd was a charm:)

I really do want the iphone/itouch whatever NOW. But I think I will wait and see if these show up at a return friendly institution and hope that the screen issues get resolved.

They must be bad in batches - 'cause EVERY one of the ones that I saw were horrid. Hard for me to believe anyone could get a good one!