iPod touch is a PDA (according to BtOpenzone)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tucker61, Aug 1, 2008.

1. tucker61 macrumors regular

Today I tried to access free wifi at a Roadchef service station, when I opened safari I got a btopenzone/o2 screen asking for my o2 mobile number.
    I do not have a o2 number, and could not see how to access the site any other way so I phoned the btopenzone support line. I explained about the ipod touch and it looked like the system thought it was a iPhone and then it got confusing.

Operator Quote"so you have a iPhone"
    Me "no, it is like the iPhone but without the phone"
    Operator "oh right it is a PDA isn't it"
    Me "no it is a iPod touch"
    Operator "no our support files say it is a PDA, and PDA's are not compatible on our system so we cannot help you"
    Me - "so are you saying I cannot use the free wifi you are advertising all over the service station"
    Operator "yes that's right it does not work on PDA's"

What is the point of free wifi but only for selected devices...

2. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

That's... dumb.

3. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

OK... I have no idea about UK but.... why should O2 give you free Wi-Fi when you're not paying them a penny??? And in a crude way, that tech support guy is correct in saying that its a PDA. (Actually Apple itself has regarded the iPod touch as a 'Wireless Platform'!

4. tucker61 thread starter macrumors regular

So if I use my laptop I can log on and get free access. if I use my iPod touch it will not work

5. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

hence it being ridiculous. What's their reasoning for not allowing PDAs?

6. muldul macrumors 6502

Very very odd, i use it all the time, i just give my BT address as i use them at home

7. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

It's only free in exchange for your phone number. They obviously find value in knowing your number, and are willing to exchange some wifi for it.