ipod touch is always backing up when syncing

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by RGSMDNR, Jul 22, 2008.

1. RGSMDNR macrumors member

is there a way to turn this off? It will always back up when i sync it up.

what gives?

thanks

2. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

My 3G iPhone does this now as well, must be the new iTunes software or the 2.0 Mobile software... Never did it before with my 1st Generation iPhone.

3. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

happens with 7.7 w/2.0 everyone has this problem

4. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

The only way to turn it 'off' is to cancel the backup in iTunes (pressing the 'x'). It will still go on to do a normal sync if you do so. I'm mixed about the feature. It has come in handy however a backup every time is a bit much. I'd much rather have the option to 'backup every 10 syncs' or perhaps 'backup X-times per month'.

5. DsurioN macrumors regular

DsurioN

Yeah this is an annoying "feature" that iTunes seems to have - it backs up all apps every time, and not just the newly added ones. Hopefully apple can fix this eventually to make it incremental...

6. RGSMDNR thread starter macrumors member

i hope they come up with a fix for this, it takes forever to back up everytime i sync!

thank you all for your replies!

7. HKeleher macrumors newbie

Does it do this automatically for just the apps or for apps, music and video? I prefer manual sync and would hate to have automatic sync thrust upon me (I'm an oldschool control freak when it comes to my syncing, lol!)

8. imgonephishin macrumors regular

Glad I'm not the only one annoyed by this "feature" and I second the opinion that I hope they implement incremental backups.

9. amusiccale macrumors 6502

Incremental backups or a way of choosing how often you want to back up (every time, every 24 hrs, every week, etc.) would be nice. It's a little frustrating to have to wait for full backups every time.

10. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

they just need to stick with the backups they were doing with 1.1.4. they were only took about a minute or 2. they don't need to worry about backing up apps because you can always redownload them for free if you've already bought/downloaded them.

11. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

You don't have to wait every time. You can manually cancel the backup in iTunes and it will still go on and do a normal sync.

12. meirmsn macrumors newbie

I have the same behavior with my ipod touch.

I found that the Mobile Applications folder under iTunes folder gets bigger with this backups. Actually I have multiple instances of the same application (numbered 1, 2, 3...) even when that application haven't been updated since their first version.

I guess the sync issue is based in the fact that you can't control which application you want to be synched back to your computer. If you delete one app on the computer and also purchased a new app on the ipod, next time you sync then you'll be forced by iTunes to choose between transferring BOTH apps back to your computer, or not transferring the app bought and keep the deleted app (from iTunes) in your iPod (unless you delete it to from your iPod, which means that every time you want to delete an app you must delete it from iTunes and the iPod or iPhone).

I would prefer a little bit more control at the sync time of which application should be synched back to iTunes, or deleted from the iPod (perhaps a simple automatic sync which looks for the last action you did would do the trick) but this depends on Apple engineers :).

13. muldul macrumors 6502

I hate the back up thing, i cancel it when it does do it, and then let it sync normally, but once a week i let it back up, just incase

14. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Personally, I never sync in a hurry. If it's plugged in, its plugged in for a while, so this backing up thing doesn't cause me any grief.