iPod touch is iPhone w/o the Phone

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jay81, Sep 24, 2007.

1. jay81 macrumors member

2. johnsonsimon macrumors newbie

i dont want to sound nasty in any way shape or form, but duuuuuuuhhhhhhhh!!!!

If you have read anything about the iPod touch or the iphone, thats what steve jobs said when he showed the ipod touch off in the new ipod keynote.

"when we released the iphone we released the best ipod we have ever shipped... our customers wanted this product without the phone, so we are releasing the ipod touch"

seriously, do some basic reading before posting comments slagging off what in truth is a great product.

alot of people already have a phone/ mobile phone provider that they are happy with and do not want to sign up with AT & T (USA) or O2 (UK) because of the contracts. They want the fetaures, admittedly(cant spell) there are some features from the ipod touch that are in the iphone, but if you want them so badly, either buy an iphone wen it out in the uk, or buy an ipod touch and wait for the possible software update.

sorry for the rant, but this forum and others like it are full of posts by people who have an 'opinion' based on press rumors and alot of the time false reports, do some proper reading.... please

3. cah87 macrumors regular

Has anyone hacked the iPod Touch yet? Because i sure haven't seen it if they have.

4. wizzracer macrumors 6502

wizzracer

I can say this. There are going to be 100 times more iPT sold then the iPhone.

Who do think will get the new added features first? The one that can produce the most profit!

5. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Well, not so fast hombre. As of today Apple gets not only the profit from selling the iPhone but they also get a juicy slice of the service contract.

So, 1 iPhone over 2-3 years could potentially generate $600 or more of profit for Apple whereas an iPod might net them $100-$200.

So 1 iPhone could = 3-4 or more iPods in Apple revenue.

6. wizzracer macrumors 6502

wizzracer

AT&t will stop some of those or charge to much. The iPT has more room to grow, where the iPhone has too many parties involved that want a chunk of that change!

Lets not leave put that iPT's are more tuned to Music/Video which will produce big time $$$

7. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

They're able to read/write files from within the chroot jail (manually.. not user friendly at all) but can't get outside that yet. Maybe someone will write an app so you can store files on it like a normal ipod - that's as far as it goes so far.

8. aethelbert macrumors 601

Yes. If people didn't have to deal with AT&T (or any service provider), I'm pretty sure that most people buying the touch would step up to the iPhone.

9. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Quite possibly.. although I'd still prefer to wait for 3G and 16GB I'd be a *lot* more tempted if it was 100% off contract and I could just drop my current sim into it. Shipping a dodgy one from the US doesn't cut it - apple could relock them all with a single firmware update.

10. adauge macrumors regular

adauge

It's the iphone without the phone, mail app, calendar input, notes, maps. So yea it's about half the iphone.

11. wizzracer macrumors 6502

wizzracer

From day one I notice it had 3 empty rows to fill with apps of what ever they have in mind.