Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Badrottie

Suspended
Original poster
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Apple decided to keep iPod Touch on the life support by update few new features. I thought not many people buy them because iPhone can listen to music?

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Apple decided to keep iPod Touch on the life support by update few new features. I thought not many people buy them because iPhone can listen to music?

What exactly are you asking? Why are they keeping the iPod Touch around?

If you search the forums you'll find a lot of love for the iPod Touch. It is a cheap alternative for iOS testing since you an iPhone will cost $600+ and you can get an iPod Touch for $200. It's also a way to get an iPhone experience without data plan for kids and adults; many parents don't want to get their 5-12 year old a smartphone. It does much more than play music. Apps, web browsing, decent camera for quick captures, music, videos, podcasts, communication via Skype/Google Hangouts/etc.

I still see many in use and think Apple's hurting themselves by keeping it so crippled. It's performance is sub par with that A5 and that will turn many people off of an Apple device, not inspire them to get a more expensive one.

Badrottie

Suspended
Original poster
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
What exactly are you asking? Why are they keeping the iPod Touch around?

If you search the forums you'll find a lot of love for the iPod Touch. It is a cheap alternative for iOS testing since you an iPhone will cost $600+ and you can get an iPod Touch for $200. It's also a way to get an iPhone experience without data plan for kids and adults; many parents don't want to get their 5-12 year old a smartphone. It does much more than play music. Apps, web browsing, decent camera for quick captures, music, videos, podcasts, communication via Skype/Google Hangouts/etc.

I still see many in use and think Apple's hurting themselves by keeping it so crippled. It's performance is sub par with that A5 and that will turn many people off of an Apple device, not inspire them to get a more expensive one.

I was asking about why are they keeping the iPod Touch around.... Thank you for explaining. It makes sense for kids to have them than the smartphone. I was at Apple store few times and noticed many people are not looking at iPod lines so I was like poor iPod line.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I was asking about why are they keeping the iPod Touch around.... Thank you for explaining. It makes sense for kids to have them than the smartphone. I was at Apple store few times and noticed many people are not looking at iPod lines so I was like poor iPod line.

The iPod is certainly less relevant than 5 or 10 years ago largely because of smartphones, but I think there will always be a place for a small music player (gym, car, radio, etc.)

One reason few people are interested is because Apple's largely ignores them. No updates in 3 years, low storage capacity for the price ($50 Shuffle only 2GB and $150 Nano only 16), and zero marketing. They only have a tiny table at the back of the store. Up the storage, lower the price, and throw in a commercial or two and I firmly believe sales would improve.

Badrottie

Suspended
Original poster
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
The iPod is certainly less relevant than 5 or 10 years ago largely because of smartphones, but I think there will always be a place for a small music player (gym, car, radio, etc.)

One reason few people are interested is because Apple's largely ignores them. No updates in 3 years, low storage capacity for the price ($50 Shuffle only 2GB and $150 Nano only 16), and zero marketing. They only have a tiny table at the back of the store. Up the storage, lower the price, and throw in a commercial or two and I firmly believe sales would improve.

I have few music on my iPhone 6+ I am not sure if I will need a Shuffle or Nano with small memory. Im not a music fan.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I have few music on my iPhone 6+ I am not sure if I will need a Shuffle or Nano with small memory. Im not a music fan.

On your iPhone go to Settings -> General -> Usage -> Manage Storage to see how much space music is taking up on your phone. In iTunes go to View -> Show Status Bar. That bar will tell you how many GBs of music is in your library.

The Shuffle's 2GB is almost nothing, but it can clip on you and go everywhere. I have 2,530 songs (I'm going through the and deleting some) and my library and am now at 12.56GB.

Badrottie

Suspended
Original poster
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
On your iPhone go to Settings -> General -> Usage -> Manage Storage to see how much space music is taking up on your phone. In iTunes go to View -> Show Status Bar. That bar will tell you how many GBs of music is in your library.

The Shuffle's 2GB is almost nothing, but it can clip on you and go everywhere. I have 2,530 songs (I'm going through the and deleting some) and my library and am now at 12.56GB.

Like I said before Im not a music fan so right now I have 271MB worth of music. :)

Reactions: Traverse

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well, I am a music fan, very much so, and have an iPod Touch that is now around five years old and still works perfectly. Initially, I bought it to supplement an iPod Classic - I always have a classic - and my only issue with the Touch (which I use solely as a music player) is the limited memory. At 64GB it is too small to hold my entire music library (which clocks in at around 90GB these days), so I still use my classic.

However, for those who want an excellent device solely for misc, the Touch still more than holds its own, and its SSD memory is a lot more stable than those of the classic (a device I really love).

Personally, I'd love to see Apple invest more in the Touch, and the iPod line up generally. As @Traverse has already pointed out, if Apple keeps withholding resources and investment and upgrading from the iPod line, it should not be a major surprise that sales decline.

Nevertheless, for those who want a dedicated music player, the iPods are a fantastic device.

And, if and when I am compelled to purchase an iPhone, it will not be used for music; it will be used as a phone and for connectivity purposes.

Reactions: Badrottie

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Personally, I'd love to see Apple invest more in the Touch, and the iPod line up generally. As @Traverse has already pointed out, if Apple keeps withholding resources and investment and upgrading from the iPod line, it should not be a major surprise that sales decline.

When I had a Touch years ago I loved it, but do you really think it's an optimal music player?

It was a smart-device first, music device second. Admittly, though, if I had unlimited funds I'd pick up a 128GB model. :D

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Do you plan on buying a 128GB Touch 6 ?

Actually, apart from an increase in the options available re colour (that 'space grey' everyone seems to be writing about), I wasn't aware of any other changes. This, in fact, was the main reason I dropped into this thread - and section of the forum - earlier today, but found no discussion of further details.

Have the iPod Touches been upgraded to include a SSD memory of 128GB?

MattA

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
Actually, apart from an increase in the options available re colour (that 'space grey' everyone seems to be writing about), I wasn't aware of any other changes. This, in fact, was the main reason I dropped into this thread - and section of the forum - earlier today, but found no discussion of further details.

The iPod Touches have been upgraded with the A8 processor (same as iPhone 6), 8mp camera, new colors, Bluetooth 4.1, and 16/32/64/128GB sizes. If I needed one, I'd buy one. :)

Reactions: Arran

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The iPod Touches have been upgraded with the A8 processor (same as iPhone 6), 8mp camera, new colors, Bluetooth 4.1, and 16/32/64/128GB sizes. If I needed one, I'd buy one. :)

Ah. Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post this most fascinating piece of information. Now, that is interesting, and this means I must give it some thought…..

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

A8 1GB RAM with a 128GB storage option.

https://www.macrumors.com/2015/07/15/apple-launches-new-ipod-touch-nano-shuffle/

https://www.macrumors.com/2015/07/15/a8-ipod-touch-benchmarks-1gb-ram/

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2014
Apple hasn't even put it on the gallery on the front page. It's just in the corner (or on mobile, it's at the very bottom). Plus, it's not on the store page either.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
When I had a Touch years ago I loved it, but do you really think it's an optimal music player?

It was a smart-device first, music device second. Admittly, though, if I had unlimited funds I'd pick up a 128GB model. :D

No, of course it is not an optimal music player. Granted, it is a smart device, first and foremost, and, until I actually bought one, I had admired the form, but thought the whole adulation surrounding the Touch a load of hype.

Indeed, initially, I bought mine because I was working abroad when a 80GB iPod classic, which was under warranty, committed suicide when the HDD died (a number of the classics had issues with the HDD).

On leave, I brought it - and its receipt - into a licensed Apple dealer, and I was offered a repair, refund or replacement. I opted for a replacement, but they didn't have any there and then - it would have required a 10 day wait. As I was flying out to return to work the following day, I asked about the iPod Touch, and was told that they had them, but that I would have to pay the difference in price between an iPod classic and a 64GB iPod Touch. Stuck without an iPod (and my music library was around 40GB at that time), I bought it, and was surprised and impressed at how good it was as a music player.

In truth, I have hardly used mine for anything else, although occasionally, it reminds me that it can actually do a lot. To be honest, - as I have poor enough eyesight and wear glasses - I find the screen far too small to read comfortably on, and so I would never use it for reading, or viewing stuff.

However, for checking things, it can be very useful, although I rarely put it through its paces.

Last edited:
Reactions: Traverse

Scott Baret

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2011
I have an iPod Touch, and despite having an iPhone alongside it for most of its life, I find it to be an indispensable device.

I think most of us can agree the iPhone's achilles heel is its battery life. It's easier to slip the iPod Touch into my pocket alongside the iPhone than to take the charger with me. Additionally, having music on an iPod Touch frees up space on an iPhone, which means the 16GB model is easier to work with. I keep one or two songs on the iPhone at a time to use with the alarm clock, but that's basically it.

Furthermore, since the iPhone's battery inevitably drains during the course of a day, the iPod is a decent backup device to use when wifi is available. Yes, a Mac can also be used there and is more practical in most cases, but let's say it's lunch, the iPhone battery is already down to 65%, and there are five emails which need replies. The iPod Touch is more than a capable backup.

I actually see the Nano as the most useless product in the lineup at the moment. The Touch does everything it does plus it can use apps, and those wanting a small music player can always go with the Shuffle (especially with its convenient clip--it has been a very good investment for running).

Don't forget the other times a Touch makes the most sense:

--As a portable system for kids who aren't old enough for a phone or whose parents don't want to pay for/can't afford an extra phone on their family's plan.

--In an academic environment when a tiny device is needed. I have seen iPod labs in use in foreign language classrooms and also in health/PE settings. The carts are portable and fit better in a classroom than iPod or laptop carts, especially valuable if used with a traveling teacher (as is often the case with foreign language).

In short, I feel updating it and keeping it around was a wise move on Apple's part. Yes, there are smaller sized iPads, but the iPod is pocket-sized, which makes a huge difference in many scenarios.

mafaky

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
I wouldn't say NO to a new generation iPod (Touch) with a 4.7"/5.0" screen, perhaps still with A8 & 1GB RAM. Or even a bigger sized (5.2"-5.0") one!...

iPod Touch 6Generation is improved pretty much for the "inside" but it's still the same size & footprint of the 5Generation it has replaced. My old eyes look for a bigger screen than a 4" one (but still pocket sized) gadget, on my usage. And a bigger screen (and therefore case) will bring higher battery life...;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.