iPod Touch + iTunes App Store as a gift ?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jdripper, Dec 22, 2008.

1. jdripper macrumors newbie

Hello,

I bought an iPod Touch :apple: as a gift for my gf.
    The thing is I also want to give a few Apps from the App Store as well. As far as I can see there is no option to "gift" an App right now (you can do it with music, an album for example).

What I thought I might do is get a hold of her laptop on Christmas eve, install iTunes, create a new account but using my credit card details. Purchase and download the Apps that I want.
    The next day when she connects the iPod for the first time (she had no iTunes account) before, it should sync with the Apps that I purchased ?
    Will that really work as I explained ?

TIA

PS. I'll be sure to remove my credit card info after :rolleyes:

2. zero.fx macrumors member

why dont you just buy ipod gift cards they are much simpler and she can use the gift card to either buy apps or music/videso etc...

3. jdripper thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I know an iTunes gift card would be the simple solution, but I wanted what's easiest for her.
    Plug in iPod, sync, got Apps.

Anyone ever tried what I mentioned ?

Or anyone started making purchases from iTunes before they had an iPod Touch, and then synced when they got it ?

4. atticus18244fsa macrumors 6502

atticus18244fsa

If your in Canada you can't use gift cards for apps just so you know.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Apps are tied to the iTunes account they are purchased from, so if your gf later wants to buy more apps, she'd have to do it through the account you set up. If she sets up another account, she'd basically lose the apps you bought her (You can possibly have apps from two accounts on your iPod - it'd take some convoluted maneuvering to do that - but you won't have a working backup copy for the ones that aren't from your current iTunes account, so you'd lose them if you ever have to restore your iPod. And iPods will have to be restored at some point.)

6. jdripper thread starter macrumors newbie

@Night Spring

Thanks.
    I'm thinking she can continue using the same iTunes account (she doesn't have one right now).
    The only thing to change will be the credit card details billing name.
    Feasible ?

7. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

That should work.

Also elaborating on what Night Spring said, it's possible to sync apps from two different iTunes accounts. HOWEVER, updates will only be available for the apps tied to the account that is currently logged on in iTunes (basically, if you have "Account 1" and "Account 2", and are logged into "Account 1", you will not be able to update any apps purchased with "Account 2" until you log into that particular account).