ipod touch jailbreaking questions

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by justan, Oct 25, 2008.

1. justan macrumors member

Ok...i dont even have an itouch yet but i want one. Got to play around with one the other day and they kick ass! But what i want to know is....

What does jailbreaking do?
    Can i get ALL the ipod touch and iphone apps for free?
    What are the ups of jailbreaking?
    Downs of jailbreaking?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Justan

2. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

k,
    1. jailbreaking is when u change the code of the OS on the ipod touch so that u can put in ur own games, and other things like game emulators.
    2. jailbreaking CANNOT be done on a 2g ipod touch. that will change in the future but for now, if u need to jailbreak, get a 1g ipod touch.
    3. jailbreaking doesn't have amny downsides except that if something bad happens to ur iptouch, and its jailbroken, apple will void whatever warranty u have. but u can always restore but i have heard of caese where the ipt became a brick from JBing.
    -from the totally awesome wywern209:D
    note, u in no way what so ever HAVE to jailbreak the ipt to get the normal features.

3. justan thread starter macrumors member

i wanna jailbreak. From what ive heard and read its alot better then just a normal ipod touch. But are like all the apps, wallpapers, etc free? I read with the jailbreak you can get all apps, and stuff free, even iphone apps. True? The main reason id get one is for the apps but dont really wanna pay.

4. Ernest macrumors newbie

Ernest

You get the iphone apps when you purchase a new ipod nowadays. It was the upgrade from 1.1.4 -> 2.0 that you had to pay for to get the iphone apps and the wiggles and some other things. Jailbreaking is good for changing themes of icons and wallpapers, I recommend it.

5. justan thread starter macrumors member

the main thing i wanna know is if the apps are free. I dont mind wallpapers and stuff, im just in it for the apps:D are they free?

6. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Jailbreaking does not enable pirated apps. To do this you need to further hack the device after you do the jailbreak, and find copies of patched apps.

7. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

in response to that, apps are generally inexpensive or free so don't pirate when its so free.:rolleyes: don't make me tell ur mommy that u stole some apps when they cost a buck....:):D

8. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

restoring if jailbroken

i have a first gen 32gb touch, i've read a bunch of stuff about jailbreaking but i've never looked into doing it. if i do choose do jailbreak my touch, can i un-jailbreak it? or like, if something screws up when i'm trying to download stuff, is my touch useless/worthless?

some one reply! kthanksbye.

9. liptonlover macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure because I haven't jb'd my touch, but I think you can restore somehow.

10. dagored macrumors 65816

You can. There is a button in iTunes just for that. Its called "restore".

11. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

well even if you screw around with the progam files and it doesn't work, like the operating system or whatever, on it..would "restore" fix that?

12. dagored macrumors 65816

Yes. Have done it a few times. Did a Restore so that I could Pwan 2.0 and another restore to do 2.1

Funny thing is, the Restore takes longer than the JB.

13. asskick3r macrumors regular

asskick3r

Yes. You will be able to restore ... no matter what.
    Well... unless you deleted all the files while in ssh ...