Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

llamalord13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
I am wondering if it is worth it? I don't wanna use Stocks, Maps, or Weather. I just want the Web Clips thing, and any other feature.

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
I am wondering if it is worth it? I don't wanna use Stocks, Maps, or Weather. I just want the Web Clips thing, and any other feature.

Having coughed up the £12.99 for the software update, I'd say definitely!

The sheer functionality and awesomeness of being able to add icons to the home screen plus all the other functionality you recieve, like - moving icons on the home screen anywhere, at your beckon call, display lyrics for tracks, have chapter support for movie files, Mail (amazing), Notes - (Proven very useful).

I'd do it (well, I did).

Just a word of warning, when I purchased the update, I foolishly clicked the buy now button a second time, as the update didn't materialize at first. I was charged briefly for two update files by Apple, but iTunes support has since resolved this and refunded the entire amount. Just remember to click the buy button once, then sync your device - the applications will sync straight to the device, ready to use! :)

The update file, when bought lands in:

~/Library/iTunes/Mobile Applications/

~/Program Files/iTunes/Mobile Applications/

Make sure you are on 1.1.3 before buying the software upgrade!

Good Luck,

R-Fly

matthewr

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2004
I've known nothing else

I got a touch in mid-February, so have only used one with the January update, but I can't imagine using one without. Mail is awesome, notes is very useful, and I like being able to move around the icons. Without the "January features" I probably would have jailbroken it the day I got it, but as it is, I'll probably wait to see what the SDK brings.

llamalord13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
Thanks for the feedback guys!!! I appreciate it. Now I think I will get the Software Upgrade.

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
Only the applications i.e. Mail, Weather, Stocks, Notes and Maps cost money.

not true. The web clips, moving apps, and lyrics feature are all part of the apps package. (unless this has changed in 1.1.4, anyway.

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Cameront9 said:
(unless this has changed in 1.1.4, anyway.)

No it hasn't changed with 1.1.4. Updating to 1.1.3 without droppin' $20 first gets you the delightful iPhone dock. Nothing else.

liamalord13 said:
Thanks for the feedback guys!!! I appreciate it. Now I think I will get the Software Upgrade.

Glad you chose to buy the update - I assure you, you won't be disappointed with it's functionality and the daily use, you will gain from it's features. :)

R-Fly

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
And to think, a month and a half ago, people were complaining about how this is such a rip off and that they will never buy it. Well, they're wrong. It's $20 well spent. The apps are great.

katejones

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2008
Australia
I bought my touch as old stock, so they sold it sans update price. The update really was the selling point for me. Maps is also fun being that its a custom version of google earth. Not just maps on it. Webclips is kinda silly no? just safari bookmarks on your desktop?

Sigh all the apps are so good I prefer to use it instead of my pc.

edit: yes I did say pc, I don't have a mac yet, soon :(

sers

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
Is it worth it?? Absolutely....Mail and Google Maps are worth the $20 alone. The notes feature is just icing on the cake.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Having jailbroken my week 37 iPod as soon as the 70+ step 1.1.1 jailbreak guide was written and using the apps since then, it felt nice to be able to thank Apple in some way for these amazing apps. Yes, it's totally worth it. I rarely use my touch as an iPod anymore. I use it more as a PDA and game machine :p

Mikey B

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
the island
I didn't think twice about buying it five minutes after it was released and I don't regret it one bit. I use the apps all the time, especially mail and notes. I've had my touch jailbroken in the past, but I keep it virgin these days. I miss customizing my springboard, but the rest of the apps seemed like fluff after a while.

If your on the fence, I say go for it. And I don't feel like I was ripped off one bit like so many people seemed to have felt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.