iPod Touch JB help needed

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by schuyler113, Sep 24, 2010.

1. schuyler113 macrumors newbie

I recently got a ipod touch 3g 32gb from a friend. It has FW 3.1.3, which isn't working with jailbreakme.com. How can I update to fw 4.0? Cydia does not have my shsh's...

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Sorry, but you can only update to the most recent version of iOS (I believe it is 4.1), for which no jailbreak has been released yet. You are just going to have to do without until a new JB is released.

3. schuyler113 thread starter macrumors newbie

So if I can't any SHSH's except 4.1, am I better off staying at 3.1.3? Or just updating to 4.1?

4. Abscissa macrumors regular

5. schuyler113 thread starter macrumors newbie

What would I do if I decided to unjailbreak seeing as I don't have the 3.1.3 shsh's?

6. Abscissa macrumors regular

You would just restore in iTunes using 3.1.3

Download the firmware, shift+restore, and select the ISPW - once you jailbreak on 3.1.3 with spirit you can save your SHSHs on cydia.

I jailbroke mad stuff on 3.1.3 so I can help you with a lot of crap.

7. schuyler113 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alrighty! Jailbroken with spirit... now I wait for an answer in my screen thread :p

How do I save my SHSHs in cydia?

8. Abscissa macrumors regular

Go into cydia and it should ask you something like 'Make my life easier' DO CLICK. That saves them. I'm not if it does that anymore, I don't remember if I had to. It should say at the top of cydia that "This device has SHSHs saved for 3.1.3" and whatever OS.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I'm not sure you can save SHSH for 3.1.3 anymore. You have to save it while Apple is still signing the firmware, and Apple only signs the most recent firmware version.

Nice thing about "make my life easier" on Cydia is that it will automatically save SHSH for all firmware versions from the point you press that on a device, whether or not you ever install that firmware on that device. My 3rd gen touch has SHSH saved for all versions of 4.x even though I never bothered to update it past 3.x.

10. schuyler113 thread starter macrumors newbie

The current problem I am having, is when I change the volume, it remains on the screen until it is locked, then it's fine again. Any ideas on what is causing this? I tried shift+restoring and it said it was not supported.

11. schuyler113 thread starter macrumors newbie

12. Abscissa macrumors regular

That's a change of problem/topic lol.

So let me get this right; You are using the hard volume controls, and the black box with the speaker icon in it shows up and doesn't go away? I have no idea about that.

13. schuyler113 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah =/ looks like the picture below until I lock the screen, then it goes it away.
    I don't have my shsh's, So I can't restore and rejailbreak.

[​IMG]

14. Abscissa macrumors regular

Hmm...not sure what to google for that. Haha, but you could always try stuff in the reset menu in settings? What's Cydia look like btw?

15. schuyler113 thread starter macrumors newbie

What can I safely reset in settings? And what. Portion of cydia are you referring to?

16. Abscissa macrumors regular

Reset all settings is worth a shot - But in reality, it won't update the OS on the device itself, ever (until Apple wants it to). And I think you should be able to just restore in iTunes, I don't know why they'd force you to update. If you have have 3.1.3 it should stay on that. As far as I know, you can't downgrade, but staying the same is fine.

17. schuyler113 thread starter macrumors newbie

As you guessed, resetting the settings didn't fix it but I also cannot restore the Ipod. It says the device is not eligible or something like that. Tried on the springboard and by going into recovery mode. The ipod also never says anything about restoring... looks completely normal.