iPod Touch keeps backing up after upgrade

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by laddy1967, Jul 12, 2008.

1. laddy1967 macrumors newbie

Since upgrading to Firmware 2.0, my iPod Touch keeps backing up every time I synch. Has anyone else had this problem?

2. skipperj macrumors newbie

Mine has always backed up when I sync. It doesn't back up everything like it did when I installed 2.0, but, it still backs up all the settings and stuff.

3. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Yes, I've noticed this too. It takes a couple of minutes even though almost nothing has changed since my last sync. Bit of a nuisance.

4. laddy1967 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mmm...

For some reason mine is taking up to an hour each time. I might try rebooting my iMac and seeing if this helps.

5. sharp65 macrumors 6502

Apps cause the backup time to increase a lot, you can cancel a backup by pressing the X by the text saying it's taking a backup and it will still sync properly.

6. TheBonk macrumors 6502

TheBonk

Same happening with me. I'm wondering if there's an options to turn off backups. I haven't seen one so far.

7. nintendofreak93 macrumors regular

I see why it backed up the first time, but it keeps doing it. What exactly does "backing up" mean? :confused: I think I understand, but some description please?

8. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A345 Safari/525.20)

saving all files and such on the iPod to make restore eisier

9. nintendofreak93 macrumors regular

thanks

10. Pain macrumors regular

I'm such a wimp. Besides this backing-up, which doesn't affect your iPod in a BAD way, has anyone had any other issues?

11. mark10197 macrumors member

mine does that to. I just click x and it stops.

12. amcan12 macrumors member

Every time I plug Touch in the backup starts and takes 3+ hours before syncing whatever was there to sync, even if there were no changes.

Placing check mark next to "Disable automatic syncing of all iPods" in Preferences/Syncing keeps iTunes from starting backup every time I connect Touch.

But when there is anything to sync (like new app) and I start sync manually then of course the backup starts first all over again. Clicking on x stops backup but doesn't cancel sync - all is synced.

13. Dark K macrumors member

Check-mark only the "Manually manage music and videos".

But I prefer it that way, because that way, my itunes and my ipod keep on touch with everything, sometimes, my itunes gets all crazy and looses stuff and my ipod does it also, so thats why I keep it backing up and synchronizing automatically.

14. amuenp macrumors newbie

Backup issue same on my Touch after 7.0 install

Hi, Yes, I am having the exact issue with my Touch.. It happens not every time I sync but has been at least every third time.

15. mekopolis macrumors regular

what was explained to me for this being initiated in 2.0 is that if you purchase apps via wifi from the appstore directly on your touch, and you dont make it to a sync and your touch crashes, you theorectically lose your paid for app and your money...and apple wants to keep these complaints down, thus if it backs up every sync, you are reducing the risk of losing paid for apps and money when you purchase via the touch

at least that is how it was explained for me
    i normally just hit the cancel button cause it takes a solid hour for each sync

16. Viremia macrumors regular

I don't think that's right. The iTunes Store keeps track of what apps you (based on your account) buy. I've re-downloaded several apps and only got charged the first time I purchased them. Once, I purchased an app on my computer, didn't sync, got somewhere else with my Touch and decided I wanted the app right then so I went to the App Store via wifi and just downloaded it directly to the Touch. It told me I'd already bought it and if I wanted to re-download it for free.