Ipod Touch Keeps Changing Designated Username and Password Without Approval

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iTouchpeople, Jan 21, 2009.

1. iTouchpeople macrumors newbie

I received my iPod Touch as a gift. The music and videos downloaded onto it were from my computer back home that I shared with a friend. When I tried to download my first app it brought up his username and asked for his username's password. Somewhere between then and now it started asking for my username's password. I don't know how it did that because I didn't fix it and nobody told me they fixed it either. But now...I plug it into a second friend's laptop and it asks for his username's password.

How do I just go back to my username's password and how do I stop the iPod Touch from doing this in the future so I can continue to easily download applications :)

Thanks

2. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

You share the same computer so do you share the same iTunes library?

If you do, the username (which I'm taking as your iTunes Store account username) may be changed if your friend has logged into his iTunes Store account and not logged out. When you next sync your touch it may be reading your friend's account because he hasn't logged out.

When you log in to your iTunes Store account, the username then gets changed from his to yours.

3. iTouchpeople thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

Does anyone know how I can stop this from happening again? The world's leading technology is capable of deciphering the correct username right? Or did apple intend on this item being the next big seller at our local flee markets?

4. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

Logging out when you've finished in the iTunes Store is the easiest.

Use different computer user accounts. Then you can leave yourself logged in to the Store when you quit iTunes.

5. iTouchpeople thread starter macrumors newbie

cool thanks for the response, but is there a way to set my default username in the ipod touch? kinda like selecting my preferred wifi connection or network...why can't I choose the specific username i want to use at the time? if the ipod touch allows other usernames to automatically be accessed (as if 5 different people owned one itouch). c'mon this is obviously a glitch if it can't be fixed.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I'm on a computer at the moment that doesn't have iTunes so I can't check, but there should be an option somewhere to turn off autosync, so the iPod doesn't sync with iTunes every time you connect. That way, you can make sure you are logged on to the correct account in iTunes before you hit sync, and your iPod won't switch accounts w/o your knowledge.

I can see your point about how you should be able to set your user account directly on the iPod, but Apple just has a different philosophy, namely, that the iPod is supposed to be tied to an iTunes on a specific computer. They didn't anticipate that several users would be sharing iTunes the way you and your friends seem to be doing, and might even be trying to discourage that kind of usage habits.

7. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Yeah, its Settings > Devices > Uncheck Sync Devices Automatically

8. Pachin macrumors newbie

I found a itouch and I don't know the password to it.how can I get into it or change the pasword or something?