IPod Touch Killer????

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pizz, Oct 22, 2010.

1. pizz macrumors regular

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Doesn't significantly out-spec or under-price the iPod Touch to overcome the current market share or iTunes Apple Store. New customers on an Android platform, sure. Converts FROM iPod Touch...I doubt it.

3. sullen macrumors newbie

4. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

Old version of Android. No Retina-type display (WQVGA - 400x240. The Zune HD has a better screen). Useless GPS functionality (you need wifi anyway). Looks chunky (Just checked - thicker than an iPod Classic). Yawn. Would have been cool (maybe) 2 or 3 years ago.

5. Skyhigh223 macrumors regular

Anyone remember the Zii Egg? Now THAT was a badass device. Nothing ever came of it, though.

6. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

How is the battery life? It looks MUCH larger than the iPod touch, and having a media player is all about portability and apple totally wins at that game. Its no good if its thick and heavy. How is its ability to connect to wifi, they show people using maps in the car but if you need wifi, I think that would be kind of pointless. It would be hard to get wifi in a car unless you had a MiFi or another mobile hotspot but I hear those don't work too well with location services anyways. The pricing is similar, but from what I hear apps on android cost more, and apple's apps are very cheap IMO and there are sales all the time. Apple also has the upper hand on games too.

If they gave this a low cost internet always connection, then I think people would really snap it up, but as for now I think apple wins.

Once again I wonder how well this device will be supported by the manufacturer, apple has the best support of all and you can be sure when investing with apple that you are getting what you are paying for and they won't drop support in a matter of months because a product isn't selling well or its not what everyone expected. This is something I am concerned about when investing a couple hundred in a device because a lot of touch competitors just fall to apple and become unsupported vaporware...

7. hippo206 macrumors 6502

Whats the use of having GPS with a android device? Wouldn't you need to be in wifi range to use maps? That would be completely pointless imo.

8. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Why does the UI look exactly like iOS? And it really looks like the screen images are simulated, whereas I'm pretty sure most of apple commercials are all real time images.

9. pizz thread starter macrumors regular

Not really, as I'm sure you'll be able to DL dedicated gps apps with maps like you can for the iPhone

10. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Silly me, I thought the iPod Touch killers were the iPhone & iPad, you know, two way more awesome devices w/ the same OS that do way more....

11. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

For a price.

@vastoholic - i think the hand is simulated too. Either that or rigor mortis set in.

12. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

13. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

Although this Samsung device is not spec'd high enough to take on any iPod Touch converts, I'm thankful that there is finally going to be some competition in the market for the iPod Touch, as up until now Jobs has had full reign and competition is good for the consumer!

Not sure why this add advocates sending a picture of the Eiffel Tower while standing at the Eiffel Tower, when it only has Wifi. Unless the Tower has been outfitted with a hotspot. Internal 16GB max memory is lame too, regardless of slot.

14. pcuser94 macrumors member

and are large, try fitting an ipad in your pocket, or spend $400 more for an iphone

15. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

Eh. I think the Zune HD shipped with a better, higher resolution OLED screen. The specs I have found on sites that saw the Samsung at a trade show put it at a pretty lacking WQVGA 400x240. That's less than a sixth of the iPT4's screen resolution. Plus the images in that video are pretty obviously simulated.

16. The General macrumors 601

Of course it does. The screen images are simulated.

17. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

I realize this. That's why there was a :rolleyes:....

Edit: Oh. Sorry. I meant to put a :rolleyes: there. :eek:

18. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

19. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

Is it just me or is the finger bent a lot? :eek: 400x240? At least they could've tried the retina display resolution... then they can call it an "iPod touch killer" :rolleyes:

20. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Personally, I hate the touchWiz interface Samsung use because it's almost a straight rip-off of the iOS one: They should at least be innovative like HTC are with their Sense interface.
    On the subject of whether this is an iPod touch killer, I would say no more than an Android phone is an iPhone killer: There is certainly a market for both and some people will by the iPod touch and some people will buy an Android device: I don't know why we always get these threads when a new device hits the market :confused:

21. SlovakApple macrumors 6502

While I understand that some features can be appealing to some people that they would buy it, I do not think this would be an touch-killer. For me, it has no features which would make me buy it. I do not like the hassle with micro sd, rarely listen to radio. I do not want to comment on the android os since I have no experience with it.

22. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

Applying your logic, I guess you don't like the iOS interface, eh?

23. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

No, what I don't like is the lack of innovation by Samsung: They should design their own interface instead of ripping off someone else's (which is what I meant in my original posting when I qualified the reason I disliked the Samsung interface as being because they ripped off the iOS one)

24. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Ummm my iPhone was 299?? I pay for the contract with the constant data connection while you kids need to search for WiFi. Thats where I pay, I can surf, stream, chat anywhere, you have to wait for wifi....trust me, I know you've been there with your touch wishing you had wifi and didnt!

And lol, duh, the ipad is large, ummmm, cuz it does way way way more. Face it, you have the inferior of the three products and it's cool, apple pushes the touch for those who dont want to spend big.

25. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

My dedicated Garmin GPS doesn't have wifi. And it works just fine. ;)