ipod touch KILLER!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by boonlar, Dec 30, 2008.

1. boonlar macrumors 6502

Anyone heard of the Gigabyte m528?

[​IMG]

It's a handheld pocketable device running an intel atom 800mhz processor and will be out next month. Other variations of it are already out such as the Aigo Mid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzLN9Qdu9Ww

Check out a video of XBMC running on it. It has a decent powerVR graphics chip in it so it can handle pretty complex 3d stuff. Since it has an x86 processor you can put windowsXP on it and maybe OSX too (Think it's possible guys?)

The only bad thing is they cost between $500 and $700usd but they might be picked up by carriers and offered cheap w/ contract because they have 3g modems inside. It does have lots of features though like 2 cams and gps.

2. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

That looks awesome. I would love to have a tinyxp install on one of those.:D

3. boonlar thread starter macrumors 6502

yup, I read people have been dual booting linux/xp on it so maybe you can do linux/xp/osx and have full compatibility with you at all times. It has a usb port on the top so you can hook up a keyboard for typing or a mouse.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Where can you buy?
    I would hope that 2009 marks a new year where people stop using the word "killer" to describe the competition.

5. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    touch BITER!

Nope, imitation is the greatest form of flattery though... ;) :p

6. boonlar thread starter macrumors 6502

haha killer is just a buzzword and when people see it they are like ZOMG RLY. Yea 2009 should have even more pocket devices in development. We will have to wait till CES to see what they come up with.

not really an ipod touch imitation. if anything they copied nokia's n810, blatently, lol.

[​IMG]

7. aethelbert macrumors 601

UMPCs like this have been around for years. Nothing will change in this market in regards to iPods, especially not at those prices.

8. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    True, I was thinking of the Google phone, also very similar. (And that's not a compliment! :p)

9. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

but here is where apple wins, they own the market that doesn't care so even if this device is released most of the people buying the touch would never know, heck i wouldn't even bother looking

10. boonlar thread starter macrumors 6502

you never know unless you look. thank goodness for tech blogs!

11. quick5pnt0 macrumors regular

Killer? I doubt it. Do you know how many other devices there are just like this and none have come close? I'll be ready to call something a competitor when it has the same features and a slick and intuitive interface. Haven't seen one yet that is even close that of the Touch and this coming from a person who really doesn't like most Apple products.

12. Bfat567 macrumors 6502

Bfat567

Even though im on macrumors im more of a windows person. But imho there is never gonna be an ipod touch killer unless its from apple them selfs....face it apple did it right.

13. chrisiw macrumors regular

Had my Touch for 4 weeks and love it, and love the way it sync's with my other Mac's and at £162.00 (UK) I doubt if it has any competition at all, it just does the lot i find.:)

14. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

I would not describe this as a killer. The Sony PMP that will be introduced during CES I would describe as a killer. A walkman,psp, and sony mylo combined into a nice pocket sized package.

15. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

Wow, that PHONE is a beast. But it's a PHONE, so wouldn't it be an iPhone killer? But every phone that comes out like this, I think will it have an app store? And so many great aps and games? I doubt it.

16. mooreman macrumors newbie

I was going to make the same comment til' I read yours.... the Touch is un"Touch"able because I don't want or HAVE to pay anything monthly to use it. That clunker in the first thread keeps on a-costin' ya money every month to use it.

17. boonlar thread starter macrumors 6502

It isn't a phone though, it's a mobile internet device like the ipod touch. There are no contracts if you don't want 3g. This device won't need an app store because: 1)It runs linux which is open source and programs for that are free and 2) It can run windows XP meaning there are literally hundreds of thousands of programs you can run on it. I would like to see OSX on it but I'm not sure if it can work with a GMA500 graphics chip.

18. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

Lol, why would you want horrible Windows on it? Windows slows down good computers, I would hate to see what it would do to that.

19. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Physically it looks like a pretty decent device, but otherwise that's about it. I wouldn't even think about calling it a KILLER of the iPod touch.

20. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

THERE IS ONLY ONE iPt KILLER, IT IS THE iPhone

-the end