iPod Touch Linux (video?)

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by imnotatfault, Jul 1, 2008.

1. imnotatfault macrumors regular

So if anyone with an iPod Touch in Linux is browsing, was wondering if I could get a bit of help transferring video to the iPod. I jailbroke it with ZiPhone and have it mounted. I have already transferred music via Amarok, but when I try to transfer an iPod video file (with gtk-aac), it just hangs at 0%.

Is there anything I'm missing?

2. cyberey66 macrumors newbie

The way I transfer videos is to use WinFF (frontend for ffmpeg) to convert the files to xvid. You then just mount the drive and copy the videos to a folder called 'video' or whatever you want to name it.

So far the build in video player doesn't seem to recognize the files, but you can use mplayer, which can be installed with the package manager. The only problem is the files have to be located in /private/var/media/ and the ipod mounts at /var/mobile/Media. So I just copied over a simple text file containing,

mv videos/* /private/var/media/

and just open the terminal on the ipod and run 'sh NameOfScript' to copy over all the videos you put in the video folder to the location that can be read by mplayer.

You can probably put this as a startup script so everytime you reboot the ipod it copies over any video files.

You are probably better off asking these questions in a linux forum or searching the ubuntu forums.

They are working on a replacement media player to replace the default apple one. It doesn't support video yet, but when it does you can read any file on the ipod and won't have to worry about moving the videos to a specific folder. http://www.pwnplayer.com/

3. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

If you were wanting to SSH into your iPod from Linux, you should probably need a SCP client program. I don't know any good ones, but you could try WINE with WinSCP? :confused: