iPod touch literally ripped from my hands!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mac17, Jul 15, 2008.

1. mac17 macrumors regular

So I was on the subway today.. on my way to the Apple store 5th ave to buy a iPhone (3 hour wait btw:eek:) and I was showing my friend Apples really cool texas Hold em game when all of the sudden my brothers ipod that I borrowed was literally ripped from my hand by some guy, and by the time I even realized what happened he was way too far to see in a packed station. Now is it possible for him to buy something with itunes or app store on my account? Also do you think Apple would give me a free 2.0 update when I get a new one as I paid for the last one and it was stolen?

2. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

I think you have to enter a password to buy anything, so you should probably be good to go on that...and the update is a download purchase so it may be able to go to another iPod, though I am not sure.

3. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

Could be worse. It could have been an iPhone.

4. mac17 thread starter macrumors regular

Lol yeh thats my silver lining :p

5. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

man that sucks. makes me scared now...what subway/where are you located?

6. mac17 thread starter macrumors regular

I was on the Q train from brooklyn to Manhattan it was about 42nd street when it happened, yeh its makes you more aware of your surroundings... never get too comfortable on the subway.

7. volsfan macrumors regular

volsfan

id probaly go kill myself if that was my ipod.

Not saying that you should go kill urslef though

8. mac17 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeh I feel like crap right now... and now I gotta buy a new one for $300 kinda ruins the whole iPhone for only $200 I was happy about.

9. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

best suggestion would be to change your itunes password to be overly sure that the t*at doesn't get to reep the benefits from your itunes account

10. techage14 macrumors regular

techage14

I'm sorry to hear this but, worse could've happened, right?
    At least you're okay.
    And, if you buy an iPod touch after the July 11th, it should be eligible to receive the 2.0 software for free.

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Why would you kill yourself if someone else stole your iPod? :confused:

12. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

That would be an over reaction - lol - and I'm sorry to hear about your stolen iPod...I'd be PO'd

13. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

There is supposedly a way to wipe/brick the iPhone/Touch remotely now. It was designed just for that purpose. You might contact Apple and see if that feature is enabled even if you aren't on some enterprise account.

14. drummerbooker14 macrumors 6502

drummerbooker14

you may have already looked into this or it may not apply, but when my ipod was stolen my credit card company that i bought it with refunded the cost after i provided a police report.

15. hbah427 macrumors newbie

yeah, when did u buy it, because i got it for christmas, and apple told me i have 192 days left in my warranty, so maybe you have that too...

16. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

sorry for your loss, at least he didnt pull a gun on you or something!

you can use the money you saved to replace your bro's pod

17. bozs13 macrumors regular

I would not kill myself but I would have definitely give the thief something to think about on his way to jail.

Someone tried to take my second gen iPod from me while I was on a tram in Zürich. That dumbass didn't have a chance. I dropped him to the floor and told someone to call the cops. I grew up in the city though, so I'm used to always watching out for my stuff. It's essential to be alert at all times.

EDIT: yeah I just remembered it was a 2nd gen...no idea why I wrote 1st gen

18. Shanesan macrumors 6502

Shanesan

An hero?

19. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Tough deal.
    I always worry about that as much as I travel. I keep a close eye on my surroundings and keep the old iPod touch in my pocket while I listen to it.

20. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

I'm pretty positive warranty doesn't cover theft :-/

A buddy of mine made his first good purchase, and bought himself a MacBook (straight cash from the Apple Store, too. Fun fact: they only have one cash line. I guess too many people don't drop ~$1,000 in cash too often :rolleyes:) and the computer was stolen within a week.

The most Apple could do was track the serial and see if it gets re-registered under a different name.

21. Tyris macrumors newbie

Too bad he didnt have his own gun to pull on the bad guy.

-T