iPod Touch Mail Account Sync

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Xavier, May 24, 2010.

1. Xavier macrumors 68020

I recently set up my University email to work with the Mail application on my Mac. It's an exchange email account, and everything works great on the computer, being able to send and receive email.

Now I want to have my university email on my 1st generation iPod Touch, but its not working! I have tried two different methods that haven't worked. The first, trying to sync it from iTunes under the "Advanced -> Replace Mail" option.

The second by setting up the exchange account from the iPod itself. I used the same information, like server, username, and password from the Mail application on my mac, but that didn't work either.

What am I doing wrong? I would really like to have this email on my iPod Touch to check on the go.

2. Xavier thread starter macrumors 68020

3. dmcelroy macrumors newbie

I have my university exchange account on my ipod Touch. The difference is the server name used. Rather than using the exchange server name for your account, you need to access your email using webmail.xyz.edu for the server. This will allow the iTouch mail client to access your email. If your university does not have web access set up you'll have to talk to your exchange folks.

4. robrobin10 macrumors member

well,now thats what i called assessment ............and a great perception ...........yeah it requires that ur university has the web access setting ..............

5. Xavier thread starter macrumors 68020

Yes, I am using their mail server address. I used the same address on the Mail application (where it works) as I did the iPod Touch (where it does not work).

Here are some pictures:

The Mail application where it works. You can see both emails:
    [​IMG]

In iTunes, the BSU Mail account does not show up:
    [​IMG]

I then try this, which does not add the BSU mail account to my iPod Touch:
    [​IMG]

6. JAT macrumors 603

Set it up on the iPod, not in iTunes. You don't want to sync mail, you want to access your account with a mail app, and the iPod can do that directly. It's in Settings.

You may need to talk to them (the U) about the setup for mobile devices. There could be all sorts of little things that you just don't have set correctly.

I have my company's Exchange email going just fine through my 1G Touch, ever since OS3.0 came out.

7. Xavier thread starter macrumors 68020

I managed to figure it out, and it was along the lines of me not entering the info correctly. The exchange server used for the mail app is different than the one used for the iPod Touch. Also, instead of having just the username under the "username" part (weird I know), I have to use the @bsu.edu extension.

It now works perfectly on both my Mail app and the Mail app on the iPod Touch, sending and receiving email. Yay! :)

8. JAT macrumors 603

Congrats! It took me several tries the first time, and it only got real good when my company updated something finally. So it was half their side.