Ipod Touch mail app not working with certain wifi signals

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by alex1313, Aug 21, 2009.

1. alex1313 macrumors newbie

hello. I have an ipod touch 2nd generation with iphone OS 3.0 loaded. I have a problem with the mail app: it doesn't want to work with certain wifi connections. the ipod gets internet signal, I am able to use safari on it, facebook, rss feeds etc... but the mail app doesnt want to download or send any messages. it works well with my wifi at home and other wifi's at different store and cafe's, but it doesn't want to work with the school's wifi (Universitiy of colorado at denver) neither with the mac mini at work (using air port internet sharing feature). I have to point out a couple things: the mail app never worked with the wifi at school, however, it did work with the mac mini for a long period of time (I would say 6 months) and all of a sudden it quit working. it even worked after the 3.0 iphone OS was loaded, but then all of a sudden it quit. also, the sling player app on the ipod touch never worked at school and it quit working with the mac mini at the same time the mail app quit working (works great at home and other wifi connections I have used it).

I am using a gmail account with the mail app. I tried to set up a yahoo account on the ipod's mail app but it didn't let me do it because of SSL. I disabled SSL on ipod for a minute to see if that was causing the problem of the mail app but still not working. I don't think SSL has to do with this problem but I could be wrong. any suggestions?

2. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

They probably block everything but http traffic.

3. alex1313 thread starter macrumors newbie

wouldn't that block also usage for safari? safari is working fine. I can browse websites.

4. macsarethebest macrumors regular

gmail online?

see if you can check your gmail in safari. :confused:

5. alex1313 thread starter macrumors newbie