ipod touch memory problem

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bbtkd888, Feb 3, 2008.

1. bbtkd888 macrumors newbie

so i had a mixip with the new update that came out so i had updated to 1.1.3. it did not go so smooth so i restored it back to 1.1.2. however wen i did this i had to put all music vids and apps back on. it took a while but i eventually got it.

the problem is that now my ipod has like 8 gbs of "other" memory taken up and i dont know where it is coming from. help please! i am so frustrated with this :mad:

2. dodgeyjames macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem!!! I've got an 8gig ipod touch and i put like 1000 songs on it yesterday, and still had memory left over... but when i went to conect my ipod to add a couple of songs, its said that there was not enough space... so i had a look... and there was a big orange bar at the botom of over 4gig of mermory taken up by "other", if any one knows whats going on it would be great for a little help :confused:

PS: My iPod is a jailbreak version... don't know if that could be the problem... my friend said to unistall some of the programs in the installer part... but i haven't added anything recently...

Thanks in advance for any light on the situation

3. CalmEnvy macrumors 6502

This has nothing to do with a jailbroken iPod touch. My 16GB is and it has something like 60MB other. I'd recommed to restore your iPod, although that means you'd have to put your music, videos and apps back on which would take a while. I really am not to sure about but there is always http://www.ipodtouchfans.com.

4. dodgeyjames macrumors newbie

do you know of any other reasons why i have lost 4gig of space??? could the memory have be courupted... or something like that??? The only thing that i did from when i last conected my ipod... and put on the 1000 songs... was... put photos of the albums on the songs... album artwork thing... that surely can't have taken up 4gig could it... because i then took off the images... and the 4gig was still taken up... :confused::confused:

5. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

I had the identical problem with mine. I contacted customer service at Apple and at iTunes, in addition to the local Apple Store Geniuses. No one seems to have and answer to why the problem happened; the best answer I got from customer (non) service was to find a forum or chat group to get an answer.

Anyway, the problem seemed to have happened when I used a third party program to download a movie to the iPod. I can only assume that the program somehow reserved extra space to load the movie in, even though it needed nowhere near that much room (5.65GB).

I "solved" the problem by restoring the Touch to original and starting over. Even though I loaded in everything I had before, the problem didn't show up again. If you're going to restore your Touch you should save the music you have on it now. I used TouchCopy http://www.wideanglesoftware.com/touchcopy/ and it worked well.

My Touch is a 1.1.2 upgraded to 1.1.3

6. CalmEnvy macrumors 6502

Album artwork doesn't take up much space at all but it seems that Davidy had the problem and restoring it did the trick.