Ipod touch memory space (has to do with jb)

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by jlyanks85, Jan 9, 2008.

1. jlyanks85 macrumors 6502a

I just jailbroke my ipod touch tonight and while d/ling apps, every once in a while it keeps saying I'm running out of space, need to delete, videos and photos. Yet when I go to settings to see how much space I have left, it says 10 gigs. That's plenty for me, don't see how that running out of space since these apps aren't big files at all

2. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

You need to relocate your applications folder, search the forums for one of the threads on how to do it.

3. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

4. jlyanks85 thread starter macrumors 6502a

is this just for the amount of apps I can d/l or does this have to do with the amount of music and vidoes I can d/l as well? Because it does say I still have 10 gigs left

5. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Umm, I don't really understand the question but the memory on the iPod touch is divided into 300MB for the system files and fonts etc, and the remainder is given over to all of your media (ie your music, videos and photos). However, not all of this 300MB is used and so lets say there's 50MB free. When you first jailbreak and install apps they are installed into this section and so you can see that quite quickly, the space will begin to diminish. However, 50MB of apps moved over into the media section is hardly gunna make a dent in the amount of free space and that's why there is so much memory left over.
    Not sure if that answers your question but every bit of knowledge helps ;)

6. jlyanks85 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah it pretty much does. Just seemed strange for it saying I'm running out of space when my ipod still had 10 gigs left and these apps I'm d/ling are no more than 6 megs of space. That's not much space taken up at all but I kinda figured it might be a separate thing from the music and video downloads. Was a bit concerned that I wouldn't be able to d/l more videos in the future since I'm a big video person with my ipods

7. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Like mentioned above your touch has 2 partitions. You will have no problems downloading videos as long as the media partition shows available space in iTunes.

8. jlyanks85 thread starter macrumors 6502a

so I have to plug my ipod in itunes to find out how much videos I can d/l? Weird that itunes can say something different than the ipod itself when the touch says in setting sthere's still 10 gigs left to d/l videos and songs