iPod Touch Metal Frame

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by neovo, Dec 14, 2007.

1. neovo macrumors newbie

I just bought the iPod Touch. I noticed there are tiny scratches on the black frame around the screen. The frame seems to be metal / aluminum, which makes the scratches very visible in bright room or in outdoor. I asked for a new iPod Touch and the shop opened the new one. But the metal part was still not perfect. There was dent. The shop only could open 1 new box. So I decided not to change in the end. Although these scratches/dents are tiny and sometimes not visible, I think they should not be there. I wonder why Apple could not produce near perfect or almost free scratches iPod Touch.
    How about your iPod Touch? Is there any scratches since the day one? Or it was scratch-free? I would like to know. And I would like to hear suggestion what should I do to solve this problem.

2. candan9019 macrumors regular

There's no scratches on mine. And I'm pretty sure it's a hard plastic not any kind of metal. I would think that it would be hard to notice it anyways, nothings perfect. At least your screen or back is not scratched right?

3. neovo thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't noticed any scratches on the display. On the back, there are some scratches already. But I barely can notice it. So it won't be a problem. The only problem is the black frame around the display. Is there any way to make it not visible. The only thing I can think is buy a case.

4. MayaTlab macrumors member

This part of the iPod is made of aluminium (like the new nanos) which natural color is silver. However, the aluminium has two problems : it dents easily, and it can't be painted deeply, only on the surface. Which means that once it is dented, you can see the silver interior of the part. And this silver color shines much more than the black paint, which can't be fixed very good.

Apple decided to use this method because of environmental concerns (remember the iMacs, no longer plastic), sacrifying the durability of the color (the piece of aluminium itself is pretty robust, only the paint goes away).

My first two iPods quickly showed this problem, and my current one (which might be returned soon :)) has just an almost invisible silver dot near the glass of the screen. In my opinion this is just stupid from Apple : a brand that capitalizes so much on design is not able to make its design durable.

And by the way the iPod are still terrible for the environment (the glue used to fix the battery especially), although they are not worse than their concurrents.

5. neovo thread starter macrumors newbie

So you have already returned 2 iPods? How bad were they?
    That means this aluminum dent/scratches problem is just common problem from factory? Can we actually get a free or perfect physical of iPod?

6. MayaTlab macrumors member

Excuse me, I have not been clear enough :), my first two did not had this problem at first, but dents appeared quickly. I returned them not because of the dents, but because of other problems (especially the build quality, the bottom part was separating from the metal frame).

I truly think that Apple hardware quality is really poor, but I think it is the case of every electronic devices nowadays : people want something "hype" and "cheap" at the same time, but they no longer care about quality (robustness, build quality, and, last but not least on a mp3 player, the sound quality) because they will throw their iPod in the trash can in less than two years. Even my thinkpad has a terrible build quality :)

7. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

hmm mine is perfect.
    seems very odd that two had that problem in a row.