iPod touch + mifi + google maps = GPS?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cathyy, Sep 26, 2009.

1. cathyy macrumors 6502a

So umm, I recently realize that google maps is able to track your approximate position as long as you are connected to the net. I was given a free 3G mobile connection by my ISP when I signed up for my net, so I was wondering if I could get a mobile router and use it similarly to a GPS device.

Anyome thimks this is a feasible idea? Sure it doesn't track as accurately as a GPS device does, but I'm able to read maps pretty well so I think a 1000m radius is good enough for me to locate my position and navigate around.

2. TraceyS/FL macrumors 601

I think the location thing is only as good as the registered hot spots around you. Like right now, it can't pinpoint where i am at all.

But gee, i want a free mifi! LOL!!

3. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

I doubt it highly.

I was riding a bus that had wifi recently, and was served by some 3g service. I couldn't get google maps to determine my location. I'm sure it would be the same end result for you.

4. cathyy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Darn alright. Cause gps on the iPod touch would be really cool!

Anyway, guess I'll try using my laptop as a router first and see how well google's tracking works. If it's good then I might buy a mifi router.

Btw does anyone know if it's possible to get your iPod touch to work with your cell phone to use this feature?