iPod Touch mini?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by NewtonsApple, Sep 9, 2009.

1. NewtonsApple macrumors member

NewtonsApple

I was looking at the "Engraving in Action" video which was posted today at apple's web site(http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/ipod/editorial/engraving_giftwrap?mco=Nzk2MTI2Ng). It features in the beginning someone buying a 64GB Touch from the online store, and, toward the end, the shiny new Nanos so I know it's a new video. But something very odd at 00:10 to 00:18. While engraving is being demonstrated, it is unclear what type of ipod is being engraved. There is a hold switch next to the dock connector and on the other side is what appears to be a headphone jack. Now, I am aware the Touches have a jack on the bottom. Is it a prototype (teaser perhaps)? No sign a camera on back. It says ipod. There IS a wi-fi antenna. It looks too small to be a regular size touch, but also too big to be a nano or shuffle. Ptrobably not an iphone mini.
    But the profile looks like a 5g ipod video. Maybe its simply dummy model for the purpose of the demonstration. If anyone has some insight, I would appreciate it as I am really curious as to what it is. Here are a few stills:

Attached Files:

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

That is clearly an older iPod nano, because of the bottom buttons.

3. simplymuzik3 macrumors 6502a

I think they are different iPods. The ones in the blue case things look like old iPod videos (5G) and the pics below look like a first gen touch. I really hope Im wrong though! I would love to see a new iPod!!! :D

4. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

a new ipod would be insane right now, to take me out of my misery from the new ipod touch:D;)

5. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

The top pics look like my daughters 3g Nano that is sitting here next to me - i just took her skin off to check.

6. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

[​IMG]

ipod nano 3g doesn't have that black cover in the corner

7. newcronos macrumors regular

you're so mean :p

8. BlackiBook macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

Top two pictures are iPod Nano 3Gs for sure...

9. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

She is sitting right here agreeing with you!!! (for totally a different reason :p)

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The ones in the blue holder don't appear to have it. It would not shock me if they were two separate iPods.

11. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

what is the one with it though?

12. NewtonsApple thread starter macrumors member

NewtonsApple

Top two are apparently 3g nano...

Mystery one solved...here's a pic of the underside of ipod nano 3g:
    That model had the shortest run of any generation of any ipod. It's the only one with that configuration.
    [​IMG]

Mystery pics 3,4, and 5? But the other pics I'm still confused about...the scale of the fingers to device and the wi-fi antenna. Also looks thicker than a normal touch, but maybe it's 1st gen?:confused: If you see the video, you will see what I mean. Then again, maybe I'm just projecting the hope of a new ipod after today's sort-of let down. I am surpised they used a discontinued model for the demo (at least in regard to the first 2 pics).

13. ajones46 macrumors 6502

That does look odd, it almost looks like the first gen nano with a wifi receiver built in...? I have no idea.

14. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

The first two shots are an old nano. The ones with the WiFi corner are 1st gen Touch as they are flat.

15. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

That is no 1st gen I have mine right hear and it's not that thick.
    (Could that be a hard drive based ipod touch prototype????)