Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPod Touch: needs dedicated volume rocker and side buttons for back,next,&pause/play?

• YES: I think these would be sweet for no-look song control

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • NO: I'm an idiot

Votes: 48 63.2%

• Total voters

Adokimus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Boston, MA
Ok... let me explain the title. I think the iPod Touch is nearly perfect and I am going to buy the 16 GB version when it hits the stores. I like the use of a flash drive because it has many benefits, even though we will have to wait awhile for some legitimate storage options. As for any iPhone software features that it needs (notes, it needs notes!), those can be added later when Apple is less fearful of cannibalizing it's iPhone sales. But, alas, there is one key thing it is missing...........

The iPhone Toch NEEDS a volume rocker (like the iPhone) and dedicated buttons on the other side (three) that would control "back, forward, and pause/play". This way you could really control it in your pocket without wasting any battery by turning on the screen! Anyone? Yes?? Right now it is a perfect video player, but those key features would make it perfect for audio as well. Another option, though less sexy, would be to shift the screen up and have a thumbwheel about the size of the nano's. I prefer the fist option because it maintains the clean face. If you agree, then vote.

Peace,

Ado

ll PiStoNs ll

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2007
good idea. I probably wont use it to walk around and listen to so i wouldnt use it but it would be helpful.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
I disagree.

On the iPhone I think the volume rocker is used primarily for calls... For instance if you have your ringer on and your in a quite place... You can quickly silence your ringer... ALso when in the middle of a call you can keep the iPhone to your ear and turn the volume up or down...

Makes sense on a phone... No real need on an iPod.

As far as changing songs in your pocket... Well I never really did that. Why not just pull it out and do it?

Scroll wheel is a TERRIBLE idea imo... Why would you add that when you have a touch interface?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Not a bad idea. I don't like the idea of always having to look at the screen when I need to do simple navigation such as you've described. But, Apple is all about simplicity and minimalism and to this end, I think they will pride themselves on keeping the iPod touch as essentially a 1-button device.

tkidBOSTON

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2005
The Hub of the Universe
Wow, I feel like an idiot...
I didn't realize I could use the volume controls when I was listening to the iPod as well... I thought they were just call/ ringer volume controls.
:eek:

Thanks!! :)

homeboy

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2007
London
It also needs a notes app

I second that!! I did use it frequently on my iPod Photo and I want it on the 16GB Touch I'll be buying a matter of weeks.

As for controlling the device without using the screen, Apple will launch a remote control before iPod Touch reaches the stores.

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
I dont think it needs any of those. This isnt a standard ipod, you gotta remember that. You cant go mow the lawn and take out the touch and listen to it while doing that. This ipod is more of a on-the-go ipod, more than anything.

nirvana06

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
Toronto
is there a chance that Touch will have headphones like iPhone. Just to use it to forward to the next song or pause for whatever reason, maybe even change volume?

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
is there a chance that Touch will have headphones like iPhone. Just to use it to forward to the next song or pause for whatever reason, maybe even change volume?
I think that the above statement will be the case. There are no headphones on the gallery portion of the Apple website, so it might be a "surprise..."

nirvana06

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
Toronto
I think that the above statement will be the case. There are no headphones on the gallery portion of the Apple website, so it might be a "surprise..."

06_large20070905.jpg

See , pictures like that. Where they kind of hide it. None of the other ipods or iphone pictures even have headphones. There is got to be something behind that.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
I'll 4th that. And a way to read PDF files (unless it can?) then I would be set for class ;) oh well, it is still an iPod I suppose, music first

Yeah, PDFs should be readable. I dont think Apple will cripple this device - I just think they are rushing to get it done so didn't put everything up front.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK

I'd love that surprise to be Apple's A2DP bluetooth stereo headset and an announcement that it has BT after all and they couldn't announce it at first due to the FCC.

I can dream can't I? :)

d.f

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2003
might seem trivial

but with the top 2 ipod models (touch & phone) being black, why are the earphones STILL white...... not the end of the world, but Apple are famous for their attention to detail....

i understood it when black was just an option on one of their top models.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The BIG thing missing in the touch is a hard drive.

A distant but important second after that is A2DP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.