iPod touch movie streaming

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by PROBE, Dec 30, 2007.

1. PROBE macrumors newbie

After a bit of messing about, I can now stream my movies and TV shows from my mac to my iPod touch through the eyetv software. I'm not referring to programs recorded using eyetv (as that's already a feature of the software and works just fine) but rather my own content. It's pretty simple but a bit cumbersome.

First record a few seconds of TV in eyetv.
    Convert the recording for streaming to iPhone/iPod touch (there's a button to do that)
    Then from itunes (or whatever software u use), convert what you want to stream to h.264 format (it needs to have the .m4v file type).
    Now, go into your eyeTV archive folder, right click on the recording you made earlier, and then select "Show Package Contents".
    Locate the already converted .m4v file, copy its name and then trash it.
    Drag in your movie and rename it to match the filename of the one you just trashed, and Bob is indeed your uncle.

Unfortunately the preview image that appears on the ipod is still a still of the original content, but that's a small annoyance. I tried substituting the .tiff file but it didn't work.

So, the question is, is there an easier way of doing this?
    One thing I haven't tried is connecting my iPod touch to my TV to see if it streams okay. I'll give it a go when I get the new (and expensive!) cables.

2. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Yes :)

Two approaches.
    The first, an external program: http://code.google.com/p/telekinesis/

The second, using the built in Apache web server with the following set of steps: (borrowed from ilounge.com)

1. Open System Preferences, go to Sharing, Services, and enable "Personal Web Sharing". Note the IP if you dont already know your computer IP address.

2. Open Terminal and type:
    cd /Library/WebServer/Documents/
    ln -s /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/<username>/Music/iTunes/Movies Movies
    chmod 755 ~/Music

3. Test in Safari by surfing to you http://<your ip>/movies

4. Click on one of the listed movies to begin playing.

5. Go to Safari on the iPod touch, navigate to the same IP address, including the "movies" folder. Select one of your movies and press to play.

There are a few things that arent perfect (e.g. I dont like the idea of changing permissions on the ~/Music folder), however it should work fine for you and it can be expanded upon.

3. PROBE thread starter macrumors newbie

Streaming

Excellent! Thanks for that.

Are there any security issues to be concerned about doing t this way?