IPod Touch Nano!!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by beppo, Feb 9, 2008.

1. beppo macrumors member

this is a concept pic of what i think the next gen of ipod nanoes will look like. i thought of it because i really want nike+ on my touch. they would come in 6, 18, & 35 gb models. they would run slightly different versions of ipodt/iphone apps due to the smaller screen. for $75 and .75mm you can also get a built-in camera. they would have the option for a EDGE antenna for sms that would be similar to amazon's 'kindle' cellular internet [it would be a free service but the EDGE antenna wouldn't be free]. Also, THERE'S NO HOME BUTTON!!!! But i think i many have solved this problem:
    - double tap the front edge of the ipod (the color part in the pic) for home
    - tap once then on the second tap don't let your finger leave the edge but slide it across to raise or lower the audio volume.
    on the bottom there is a sleep/wake button where the hold slider usted to be.
    --since the icons fill up alot of the screen and sometimes u aren't in a wifi zone u are sometimes left w\ pointless icon that lead to nowhere. so what to do about it? i say that when wifi is either turned off or u are unconnected to a hotspot, the icons whould disappear. now you don't have to go through 3 pages of non working web apps to get to photos!

PS all of the same colors as now! & if your wondering about the key board just look at the japenese one on the touch.

So want do you think?

Attached Files:

2. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

Those are very random and interesting denominations you got there. What happened to 4GB and 8GB like all other nano's to date? I can see why you'd want them to be bigger, but you are really increasing the clientele here for a nano, by making the space bigger, and consequently losing Apple money, hahaha. If a small device could even fit 36 GB of pure flash memory, I'd be impressed and furthermore dumbfounded if Apple made a move like that so quickly. Even to conceptually picture that seems unrealistic for a while, but it's just a picture so..

That hinder its features? What exactly are we looking at? Most people buy the touch for its features that it has, so this would need to be considered.

Wow do you love spending other people's money!! Imagine giving away free cellular internet to people when they are paying for an iPhone to do that...why wouldn't everyone who just wants the web everywhere just move to buy this. Hell, with VOIP, why would anyone want an iPhone then? Especially with those amazing storage counts you boasted? And since when has Apple ever offered any sort of "attached options" on an iPod, like a camera or antenna. You buy different iPods with those options, not an iPod + xxx.

*GASP! NO BUTTONS TO PUSH?? THE IDEA OF IT!!

So the part that normally has no sensitivity at all will now have it. All over it. Nice! Or, maybe we could squeeze that home button on the right side. And have a camera button on that side too. And then the onoff switch on the other. Possibilities are endless.

Not quite following that second part. I get the volume idea, which I actually think is a good idea. But talk about expensive to add another touch sensitive part. But as for the bottom slider thingy suggestion thingy...uhh...

What about the chance of cached or saved webpages in the future? What about me wanting to read my mail offline? What about wanting to see a Google Map image that I left up previously? Or to check my stocks, or to see the weather that I previously accessed?

Oh, and if we have internet everywhere (via my option), then won't I have this amazing clutter problem again? And what about those up to FIVE home screens that Jobs gave me ... will I get to use my finger swipe gesture still?? I WANT MY SWIPE DAMNIT!!

Sorry. I'm calm now.

Anyway, it's an okay idea. Though, I think you need to put yourself in Apple's shoes for a moment. Pretty pictures ;)

3. beppo thread starter macrumors member

if it works offline then it will not go away
    the EDGE antenna would only work for SMS
    and i don't get why you think that every thing needs to be the same as its always been. I mean come on Apple's slogan is "think different"!!!

4. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

But their hidden slogan has always been "think simple"...and simple is not added options for some people and not for others. It's either an all-in-one idea or not worth it.

I guess options could work but not something like adding a camera...it just seems so trivial to make it an option at that rate. Especially since the quality is only going to be 2 mega pixels.

5. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

6. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

I like the form of the device and the idea that a nano could have a touch interface is cool, but most of the rest of your concept is a bit flawed IMO.

- the memory sizes are way off in fantasy la-la land.
    - different apps for nano as opposed to regular is dumb/unnecessary.
    - a keyboard is a bad idea on this form factor.
    - without the keyboard, web and email makes no sense.

However just having this form factor for the new nano and adding a phone function (NOT email, NOT web) would be brilliant maybe. Especially if it was just a hundred bucks or so.

I think Apple should really come out with a nano iPhone of some kind and flood the market with it. Then we would see some real action. :)

7. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

i think it would be cool for music/videos/photos only

no wifi

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think the Nano will keep the click wheel, since if you are running with it or something like that, a click wheel is much better than the touch screen for changing songs without looking at the screen.

9. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

There needs to be at least one 'physical' button incase it crashes. What happens if its all touch sensitive and the thing crashes? You wont be able to restart it.

Also a smaller screen means a smaller keyboard and at the moment my iPhone keyboard although great in itself often doesnt allow enough space above it to view what and where you are typing. Making the screen smaller will pretty much render the keyboard useless. Not in size of buttons but in being able to see the keyboard and where/what you are typing simultaneously.

10. beppo thread starter macrumors member

this wouldn't nessesarily replace the ipod nano w\ click wheel. although i think they would go back to a only-music ipod. the wifi is needed for the itunes wifi music store i never said they there would be different apps they would just have to be rearranged for the smaller screen.

also i think that instead of having nine diff homepages in a horizontal line they whould be set up as a square.

Attached Files:

11. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

it will just have music/videos/photos

nothing else

and preferences

no wifi!

12. ndheah macrumors regular

...and I thought typing on the classic touch was hard....

13. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

My Comments on the design (Before getting into responding to other posts):

I think it's alright but most of the things you've mentioned infringe on the iPhone's lair too much as you've said this is iPod Touch Nano, not iPhone Nano. And iPod Touch Nano wouldn't have SMS or edge - not if the iPod touch doesn't. I like the idea of the iPod Touch having edge but Apple would NEVER allow that as it would cripple iPhone sales.

Me neither... not much, anyway...

Yeah... with reasonable tariffs that aren't ridiculously high...

Maybe a £10 a month option? I would certainly give into that since that's the max I spend each month on my pay as you go... (If and when I top up)

Or maybe just a pay as you go option? An iPhone Nano wouldn't need fancy edge or whatever. Wifi would probably do fine for what the device would be (A watered down, cheaper iPhone).

I agree. Maybe just a touch sensitive screen instead? I don't really know how the current Nanos can be improved - apart from capacity, obviously - other than making them have touch screens... They can't really get any smaller, at the moment....