iPod Touch necessities.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iperson21, Sep 13, 2010.

1. iperson21 macrumors regular

so guys, im finally getting an iPod Touch, (as soon as they get into my local costco) so what do you guys think are the bare necessities when it comes to accessories?

these are the things i plan to order today, before i get my iTouch because i don't want it to get any scratches for atleast the first day.

this is basically my first ipod, the ipod nano in my sig was given to me by a friend because it was broken, i fixed it (it was stuck on the white screen) and they let me keep it because they got the 5th gen nano. so i don't have any ipod accessories except for some klipsch s2m apple headphones with mic (my friend gave me his old broken apple headphones w/out mic, took em to the store, told them my nano had a warranty remaining, which it did, and they just pulled a box of headphones off the shelff, ripped the box open litteraly, took out the headphones and stuffed the broken ones in there. didn't even look it up to make sure my ipod was under warranty)
    but other than that, all my listening to music comes from the baby speakers of my dell xps.

thanks in advance

2. prot0type macrumors regular

Necessities? Maybe screen protection if you're worried about scratches. A case if you want to protect it from bumps and such. An itunes card, for all the apps youll want to download.

That's about it really.

Anything else really depends on what you want to do with it.

3. azure247 macrumors 6502

Get an invisibleshield (from zagg or bodyguardz(I like these) and cover the back. The screen doesnt get scratched since its not stainless steel. Its made of glass.

I never get the point in owning a device if u cover it up to look ugly (like a case). Its like having a nice car but u cover the entire car with leather to prevent scratches and paint chips.

4. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

A case is always good,screen protector? Maybe if your worried about finger prints on it all the time,they don't scratch like at all,I had a first gen Touch and it was all dented and scratched on the back but there was only a very small scratch on the screen,you couldn't even see. :)

5. skiltrip macrumors 68030

depends how you carry it and what you do with it. if you carry it in a bag with other stuff, you need a case, and screen protection too. If it's always in your pocket, with nothing else in it, you could get away with no protection at all.

I like using hard cases with no screen protection. I like the hard cases because they slip in and out of your pocket easily. And I like a naked screen.

6. Hayduke60 macrumors regular

One of these when they come out. That is if you do a lot of typing.....

7. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

There are already various Bluetooth-enabled portable keyboards available. Most of them should work fine with the iPod Touch. :)

But yeah, IMHO some kind of protection for that shiny back is a must.

8. Ipodize macrumors member

Ipodize

If you have a relative with an iTunes account you can get them to gift you all the paid apps you want - and then pay them back (if you want :D)

Seriously though, I have 38 apps on my iPod Touch and they are all free. I have no current need for an iTunes card (If I really want a paid app I can just use the method described above). Of course, whether the OP needs one is dependent on whether he wants paid apps or free ones and on whether he has relatives with iTunes accounts.

9. Crigger540 macrumors member

Crigger540

I always get a case, but not for protection. These suckers are too small and slippery for my bear paws. I just can't hang onto a naked touch. A switcheasy torrent or rebel has the perfect grooves for gripping a touch.

10. androiphone macrumors 65816

just the bare minimum are some/any different headphones, which you say you have already so you are good to go

11. iperson21 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks guys for all the posts,
    but, have they already started selling full body cases for ipod touch 4?>

12. mchad macrumors member

Yes...ebay has them, and you can get the same thing as the zagg invisible shield from stealthguards.com for $2.85 It is literally the exact same 3m product

13. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Same here,I ordered a refurb 32Gb 3G and went to Radioshack the day after the iPod keynote and all there cases were dirt cheap,I got a Belkin shield clear hard case for 8 bucks over the original $30. :D

14. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I go for just free apps,why pay for $5 for something that you lose if your computer ever cashes. :(

15. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

I think the apps are tied into your account. I have been able to re-download my purchases even though they were deleted completely from itunes and devices. It looks like you have to rebuy as you go through the same checkout screens, and hit buy, enter in your password etc, but then it will say this update is free or whatever since you have already purchased this. And bam good to go. This has only been tested on apps though for me, but has worked the 2-3 times I've done it.

16. Googlyhead macrumors 6502

Not only are updates and re-downloads free, but the sync is two-way:
    Missing from iDevice? - restores from iTunes
    Missing from iTunes? - copies from iDevice

17. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Horrible reasoning. Why buy anything at when it could be stolen? That's following your (flawed) sarcastic use of the word "logic".

Don't get those protection films all they do is make the device look ugly and gather up dirt along the edges of the film. A simple case should do the trick. Maybe a screen protector but I wouldn't get one because you ruin the retina display.

18. Ipodize macrumors member

Ipodize

I'm not getting a screen protector, just a case and a wall charger. A good one costs too much. BTW, anyone know of a good Australian iPod touch wall charger? I'm getting sick of having to turn on my computer just to charge my iPod.

19. st0ner macrumors newbie

just get any wall charger from K-mart or Dick Smith, i brought a 20-ish dollar one back when i had my ipod touch 1st gen and it is still working perfectly on my ipod touch 4th gen

20. SlovakApple macrumors 6502

I bought only a "sock" like the ones from Apple, but a noname, therefore not so expensive. I like the design and do not want to have it "hidden" in a case. Some people buy better headphones, but I do well with those already there.