iPod Touch (New) Has old software?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by x13gamer, Sep 11, 2008.

1. x13gamer macrumors regular

x13gamer

So my new iPod Touch (1st Gen) that just shipped says that it has the January software update, wasn't there one in July? I just used the Education discount and upgraded to a 16GB so i did get the back to school deal. but it says "IPOD TOUCH 16G W/JAN SOFT UPG-USA MA627LL/B ". Am I not getting 2.1 on it then? or Even 2.0? I thought That you get a free upgrade if you buy them new from the store?

Can someone answer some of my Questions?

2. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

The first generation iPod Touch did not ship with the 2.0 software. The 2.0 upgrade is $9.95. I was as surprised as you are when I got mine.

I believe that Apple did this to avoid having to charge for every single 2.x update in the future as a result of the way the iPod Touch is accounted for in their financial statements.

3. x13gamer thread starter macrumors regular

x13gamer

It seems like apple is always trying to nickel and dime you. The update for Macbook pro users to enable their "n" capable, charging iPod touch users for and update for their "new" iPod. Come on Apple Its been 4 months since 2.0 why is it not on my "Brand NEW" iPod?

Its like Buying a brand New computer with 10.4 on it. and not ending 10.5 with it.

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Uh, what? 2.0 has been out for two months, not four.

Also, look at the back of your iPod and tell us the week number of your iPod (the week number is the fourth and fifth digits of the serial number). If it's below a certain week number then there's no way it could have come with 2.0 as it would have been manufactured before it's release.

5. Master Debater macrumors member

None of the 1st-gen iPod touches come with the 2.0 software update, even if it was manufacture after its release. Apple learned from their mistake in January when they charged $20 for the January Update but gave it to new customers for free.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not even 100% sure if the 2nd-gen Touch ships with the 2.1 software.

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

The 2nd gen ships with 2.1.1.