iPod Touch Not Powering On / Charging

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by test45, Jan 24, 2012.

1. test45 macrumors newbie

My iPod touch doesn't appear to be pwoering on or charging.

I got it last Christmas 2010 and was last using it during Christmas 2011. I hadn't had any issues with it up until this point (though coverflow kept crashing after upgrading to IOS 5).

Over the Christmas break I misplaced my power cable and so haven't charged it since then.

I ordered a replacement cable from Amazon. This didn't appear to charge the device. I was assuming it was just a problem cable but I've since found my original cable and this doesn't charge the device either.

I've tried plugging the cable into a usb port on a few different machines and directly into a wall adapter charger.

For all of these the screen stays blank and pressing the power and / or home button doesn't do anything. I've left the device charging for a period of time but it doesn't appear to be working.

I can try to book a visit to a genius bar in the hope that they'll look at it (I don't have Apple Care on the device and it was bought through a third party supplier)? It's in another city though so I was aiming to troubleshoot as best I can before hand in case I can fix this without the visit.

2. test45 thread starter macrumors newbie

I hadn't but I've tried it a few times now (connect ipod touch to a PC via cable, press and hold the home key, keep it pressed and press the power key until the device switches on). I'll try a few more times (and will perhaps try a few different machines) but so far it doesn't appear to be bringing it back to life (are there other ways to reset / hard reset an ipod?).

If I did take it to a genius bar, would they take a look at it (given that I didn't buy it from Apple and given that I don't have Apple care on it)?

3. Fresh Tendrils, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012

Fresh Tendrils macrumors regular

Sorry it didn't work for you. :eek: It worked for my iPod a few months ago. The only other thing I can suggest is to plug in your iPod and leave it plugged in for a while. Once when my iPod battery ran out and I didn't bother charging it for a few days, when I finally did get around to it, for the first 15 minutes or so it didn't seem to be charging.

Unfortunately, the country I live in does not have an official Apple Store, so I'm not sure how the genius bar works.