iPod touch not recognized by new laptop

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iaddict, Mar 15, 2009.

1. iaddict macrumors 6502

Okay, I have a new laptop that will not recognize my iPod touch. The iPod is recognized by all the other computers that I have but for some reason this laptop does not recognize it. I'm running windows xp on it. It does have a symantec anti virus installed, but even disabling it doesn't fix the problem. Since it works with all the other computers I know that it has to be an issue with the laptop but I just don't know what else to do. I followed a trouble-shooting guide for it dealing with the USB port but it still does not work. The USB ports work with other USB devices so I am puzzled about why the iPod doesn't show up.

2. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

3. iaddict thread starter macrumors 6502

iTunes

yes, the newest version of iTunes is on computer

4. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Does it show in Device Manager with an exclaimation mark? If yes, reinstall iTunes.

5. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

does your touch still connect to ur old comp?

6. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Read the OP before posting.

7. iaddict thread starter macrumors 6502

iPod doesn't show up anywhere

It doesn't show up in Device Manager. The computer does that little sound when I plug it in but I have not found it under any of the headings in device manager. It doesn't show up under My Computer or in iTunes. I went through all of the trouble shooting steps on Apple's website last night and nothing happened. It does show up and work on all of the other computers however. Another interesting thing is that I can plug in any other USB device on the new computer and they work. This seems rather odd to me.

8. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

might just ned to restart ur computer. sometimes that fixes it. if it doesn't uninstall and restart and then install again.

9. iaddict thread starter macrumors 6502

restarted, reset, re.....

Something's just not right. Gotta be on the computer side somewhere

10. Nystrjjr macrumors newbie

I have the same problem

I am in the same exact situation with my iPod Touch. I have done everything and still nothing. My laptop makes the little noise when I plug it in as well. The funny thing is, that it use to work just fine, so if you find anything new please let me know.

Thanks

11. chrish2os macrumors newbie

Does the iPod charge while plugged in with this laptop? Do you get any notifications in Windows stating that it detects a camera being detected? Is the AMDS (Apple Mobile Device Service) started?

You can check the status of AMDS by right clicking your my computer icon > clicking manage > click the + next to Services & Applications > click Services > Locate AMDS on the list and click on it. It should show you its status there. If it's not started - attempt to start it. If it is displayed as already being started you may want to do a fresh install. (Remove AMDS, ASU (Apple Software Updates), iTunes, and Quicktime; Ensure all folders for the related programs are removed from C:\Program Files)