iPod Touch now, or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by puma7, Apr 21, 2008.

1. puma7 macrumors newbie

Should I buy an iPod Touch now, or wait for the new product line? How far out is the new product, and what kind of advancements might there be? Just a speed boost?

2. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

Memory boost, you mean? That's the only thing I could see them doing to the current Touch line.

The only other currently feasible option (that I know of) would be to include a camera, but that would begin to further encroach on iPhone territory.

3. puma7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I just don't want to buy it and then bam, 1 month later there's a new ipod touch with a camera, 2x as fast, and a huge memory boost... just wondering what the possibilties were for Apple when it comes to updating the iPod touch

4. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

dont expect much right now. Just buy it. I mean like any more features would be pointless its good enough already.

5. CartoonChess macrumors member

I too have been wondering about this. Storage increase (40 GB?), 2.0 software (June, right? Twenty bucks?), and maybe, just maybe, a very-so-slightly thinner enclosure seem to be the only things they could change in the next while.

Like you, I am considering a touch but don't want to see a new touch appear right around the corner. But any substantial makeovers feel far away.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't see Apple changing the Touch too much in the near future. At most, you might see a bump in memory capacity. Since they just bumped it up to 32GB recently, I don't think you will see an increase until around the holiday season.

7. akm3 macrumors 68020

If you buy now, you'll have to pay (guessing) $20 for the SDK when it arrives, unless you plan to jailbreak it.

8. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

If you buy brand new it comes with the update already. Or atleast it did for me 32gb.

9. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

akm3 is referring to the SKD coming out in June. You'll have to pay to upgrade to all that if you get the Touch before then.

10. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

11. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

go for it. i can bet it will be at 32Gb for quite some time. if anything they will drop the 8gb soon. and just let the 16 and 32 stand alone. there isnt much they can update, or change, and it wont be getting a camera. atleast not for a looong time.

12. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I can't imagine them dropping the 8GB without a price cut on the 16GB. I just bought an 8GB for my wife. It's perfect for her needs: a PDA with music and internet capabilities. If the cheapest Touch was $399, it would have been out of our price range.

13. asrmatt macrumors regular

asrmatt

Personally I don't see nothing significant coming up if not the usual price drop. If you want it, go for it now...

14. phoxrenvatio macrumors regular

i'd wait for june and the iPhone 2.0 software, you'll be able to get it at the same time.

15. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

well yeah, if they do drop the 8 i do see a price drop. I failed to mention that.

16. culero macrumors newbie

wow.

Man I've never seen SO many indecisive people in one place! MacRumors you win hands down. ;)

Well, to the OP enjoy your time w/o your touch. Unless you have another player, never mind.

17. puma7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have an iPod nano 3g as of now, but I just won a sony mylo 2 in a contest, so now I can afford a touch if I sell both. I need a larger screen.