iPod Touch on older Mac

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bujoecool, May 8, 2009.

1. bujoecool macrumors newbie

I want to buy an iPod Touch for my wife, but I am concerned that it may not work with our computer. We have an older (5 ish years) Power Book running OS 10.3.9.

The tech specs on Apple's website say that you must have 10.4.10 or later.

Unfortunately a new computer is not in the budget right now. The old computer is in rough shape, and I am not sure that upgrading the OS would be successful. :(

What would or wouldn't she be able to do with her iPod Touch considering the age of our computer?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    You have to be running a current version of iTunes, so if iTunes isn't compatible, you are out of luck. :(

3. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

What Powerbook do you have? You could most likely buy a copy of Leopard, and it would work perfectly, because a 5 year old Powerbook is more than good enough to run Leopard.

4. Redline13 macrumors 6502

If your machine is running Panther just fine upgrading to Tiger won't hurt it at all. Give it a go. You can probably find a copy for next to nothing.

5. Pixellated macrumors 65816

eBay is your friend. ;)

6. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

According to this, $75 looks like the best price:

Best Mac OS X 'Tiger' Deals

If you look on eBay, be sure to look for a full retail version and not an install disk for a particular machine.

7. bujoecool thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies so far! Our laptop is a PowerBook G4, with a 1.67 GHz PowerPC Processor & 512 MB RAM.

Do you think that will run Leopard or Tiger OK? Would one be better than the other?

Thanks again! :)

8. nevermind50 macrumors member

My Powerbook G4; 1GHz & 768MB RAM runs both Tiger and Leopard fine. I also have an iPod Touch which works well. I would say go for Leopard though because it has some nice extra features.

Whilst you're picking up a copy of Leopard on eBay, invest in more RAM, at least another 512MB.